~~ The Guards are Down(24)~~

"Soltana, good morn. Pray, whatever has you walk in the council room from the Royal Quarters?" Ethan asked. His voice was commanding but soft as velvet.

She bristled at his pretense. Ignoring everyone else who either gawked or disapproved at her sudden appearance, she said, "When I entered my chambers, I was accosted by your modiste and her minions."

"Accosted?" His brows furrowed, nonplussed. "Are you telling me you caused disruption to the council meeting as you were 'accosted' by a modiste who is well beyond her years?"

Arianna said nothing but leveled him a glacial stare. Was he funning her? This made her feel wrong-footed as he had been ambivalent towards her since her arrival at the White Palace several weeks ago.

"And is that why you are in such a state with your hair mussed and your bodice dishevelled?" He probed.

Scowling, she glanced down and faltered. Her bodice was all but open, exposing her cleavage. A flush rose up her neck and trailed up, slanting her cheeks. She folded her arms across her chest. "I don't want the dresses you commissioned for me."

Her boldness drew mutterings from many lords and a hiss from a woman sitting next to a blonde, which Arianna immediately recognized as Elora, who spared her daggers.

"If that's what you want to discuss, then have it your way." He shrugged and leaned back against his chair. "But remember, the clothes you wear are borrowed. They need to be returned, so if you want to be naked like the day you were born, I won't stop you."

A handsome man behind him laughed but muffled his laughter behind his fist.

Elora's lips twitched along with many others.

She yearned to strangle him in front of his men and women. "It's presumptuous of you to assume what I want or not want, Ethan. Being my guardian, you may think you are obliged towards me, but don't forget I can protect myself. I am no doll that has to be dressed with permission."

Silence befell the room. It wiped the good humour on Ethan's expression.

The handsome nobleman smirked at Ethan, appearing amused rather than shocked at her daring. The rest couldn't be said of everyone.

"Very well, Soltana, you have made your point. Is there anything else?" He motioned her to say whatever else was on her mind and depart. Nothing in his demeanour told Arianna if he was offended or otherwise.

"I want to talk to you privately," she mumbled, unsure how to react to Ethan's agreeing to her demands.

"If that's what you wanted, you could have asked it a bit nicely." He chuckled, inviting others to join in. A look of triumph entered his eyes.

She wanted to give him a piece of her mind but held her tongue. The scoundrel was far better than her at witticism. He was a king, after all. One wrong word, and she would be languishing at the gallows.

"I will try," she muttered, looking away. Her acquiescence made her body rebel, but she tamed her galloping anger. If she wanted to set her foot outside these damn walls, she had to appease his ego, but not so much that it was suspicious. It had to be anticlimactic.

"You heard Soltana Arianna, the meeting is done. We will meet again tomorrow." Ethan sighed as if it was against what he wished for. Everyone rose up and filed past her, some avoiding her gaze while others gave her inquisitive perfunctory nods or murmured polite greetings.

"Zayn and Elora, I still require your company," Ethan called out from his perch. The nobleman sitting next to him paused; while the woman looked pleased for some reason, she retraced her steps to stand in the middle, a little apart from Arianna.