~~The Intruder (3)~~

"Oh, Arianna, come down from the tree. What if the branch doesn't hold? You will break your bones," Jay urged her from down below. "I still can't believe that you climbed it for apples. There are plenty of those in the castle."

Arianna eased her way off the branch and jumped down on the soft ground, along with the spray of leaves and twigs. "But these beauties look delicious and it's such a beautiful day. So why not?" She held two apples in her hand with a triumphant smile.

As if to prove her point, the mid-afternoon sun glimpsed from behind the cloud. It was one last-ditch effort before the day prepared to hand over its reign to the dusk that would soon follow in a few hours.

"We should head back to the city before they close the gates." Jay looked skywards; a frown creased his forehead. "I don't want to be stuck outside. And your father won't be pleased when he learns that you have been gone too long."

"You are no fun, Jay," she remarked. "I think your sentinel duties make you appear so grave and dreary." She threw the spare apple at him.

"That's because I want to be a Royal Guard rather than a mere foot soldier, and for that, I have to take my training seriously." Jay threw back his shoulders and puffed up his chest.

She slanted her head. Jay's ambition was not a lofty one, but what about after that? He would never be a lieutenant as he was not nobility or gentry. Many at the castle frowned at their friendship, given he was a stable master's son at her manor.

Slowly, they made their way to the castle, keeping the stream of conversation flowing between them like old friends that they were. Once they gained the stables and had returned their respective horses. They strolled and stopped short when they saw the soldiers practising the drill, not too far from the garrison, while her father watched.

"Papa! Oh, it good to see that you decided to catch fresh air," she exclaimed, hurrying to her father.

When the duke spotted her, a wide smile crowned his lips. "Oh, my darling daughter. How was your trip to the forest?" His eyes lingered on her face before shifting to Jay.

"I took good care of her, Your Grace." Jay swelled with pride. "As I promised."

Rouan Harrowton nodded and gestured to the Royal Guards before him. "I used to be agile and fast as these lads. General Brennus can verify it for me. I yearn for those days. Jay, my lad, how do you fare as a sentry?"

"Good sire," Jay replied, standing up to his full height. It made Arianna roll her eyes at his exuberance.

She could not understand why Jay was not interested in finding a trade and living a merry life. The life of a soldier was not the most serene. If she had a choice, she would rather spend days in the woods than be cooped up in a city. It had taken many months of pleading for her father to relent. She whiled her time there as none of the courtiers had thawed towards her too much. She had made some friends, but they refrained from striking a conversation when an audience was about.

"Lieutenant Lucas has been most impressed with me." Jay nodded. "He always asks me about Lady Arianna's trips to the forest. I have told him that I would protect her with my life if any harm befalls her."

Days had passed and turned into months, and Arianna's fear had eased. No rumours had plagued her. It seemed the Commander and Lieutenant Lucas had kept their lips sealed tight about her foray to the city that fateful day.

She still missed the life back home where she had interacted with Pyrians who crossed the borders for trade. Their simple tribal life soothed her soul. Their ancestors had wandered the lands before settling in the city of Kayat and thus forming a nation, which was now known as Pyria. Ancient ways dictated their beliefs along with arcane magic that once burned through their veins as the folklore went. However, many renowned Seers did hail from there.