~~ The Trickery of Lady Arianna (11)~~

The Commander hadn't confided in her everything, but she was determined not to go to Arlington. The rebellious resolve had been growing inside her ever since she had stepped foot in Middleton.

Arianna took in her surrounding, men in all shapes and forms ate and engaged in rowdy banter around her. There were a few women of gentry judging by the garb they wore. While most women were, from the looks of it, tavern whores or serving girls.

She watched the whores as they walked to the patrons with their skirts hitched up, just wearing corsets with their full breasts on display. They either poured ales or entertaining patrons with a suggestive sway of their hips.

Feeling Ethan looking at her, she regarded him head-on. It was moot to act coy. So much has happened in the last two weeks since they had escaped from the castle.

"This rowdy place may be a bit too much. We can take the meals in our chambers," he said.

"How easily you forget my Pyrian blood, Stan," she countered, not liking how he referred to their chamber as 'our.' "There was a time when you couldn't stand being under the same room with me."

He opened his mouth, but a blond wench sashayed towards him and poured some ale into the goblet. "Good eve, sire."

The girl ignored Arianna, which was all too fine with her. Then, to her utter disbelief, the wench sat across Ethan's lap with no care for her modesty. Dipping her finger in the goblet, she touched his lips with a coquettish smile. "I can be your wildest fantasy for tonight."

Arianna dared a look at Ethan and startled. He was smiling. Save for the jovial mood upstairs until he had discovered her plans to flee to Pyria, the man hugged broodiness like his shadow. His anger didn't bode well for her. She had to find a way out of the mess that she found herself in.

The intoxicating smile had a hint of mischief. It made his ruggedly handsome features animated and endearing. In a rough dialect, he teased, "Nay wench, my missus may not like it."

She giggled at the gentle rebuke. "You know where to find me when you have enough of your ice maiden. They call me Ella Blue."

Leaning forward, the whore kissed him in ardent passion and to Arianna's alarm she saw Ethan stroking her back. When they broke apart, Ella Blue sauntered off to the next patron with a smug glance at her.

Arianna realized she was staring at him and averted her gaze, ignoring what had just transpired. Fortunately for her, their meals arrived and she started eating feverishly but halted when she noticed Ethan watching her.

"Does my company displease you?" Arianna muttered.

"You eat like a noblewoman." He remarked, leaning back. "Ella Blue is right. Your spine is too straight and your chin is held too high."

Arianna glared at him but had to admit he had a point. Courtly mannerism wasn't the criteria at this place and could draw too much attention to her. Looking around, she noticed everyone had a more relaxed demeanour.

Slouching, she asked, "Is that why people are looking at me?"

Ethan shrugged with a chuckle. "You just stand out, Arrie!"

Arianna looked away. Ethan was staring at her beyond what was deemed proper. Between bites, she observed how the wenches behaved; it was so different from how the aristocratic females comported.

After a while, she knew what she had to do. She sent a rushed prayer to the heavens for strength and courage as they were her only allies now.

Ethan scanned the common room in the tavern. Methodically, he examined the faces to sort out those who stood out. Arianna was too much of a noble; no peasant dress could disguise her upbringings, even the blonde had been suspicious.