~~ The Guardianship (7)~~

Jay frowned when he espied Arianna in the inner bailey. The chirpy girl with a heart-melting smiling in Harrowton had become like a flower who had withered too soon.

When he had arrived at the castle as a mere sentry, he had been delighted at the change in his prospects. But the real reason for his happiness had been Arianna. She had taken her residence at the court, much to his disappointment. So, he had followed his heart.

As he vowed to find out what plagued her, his attention was caught by the Lieutenants Lucas and Jacob, who flanked Prince Izaar. They were headed to the westernmost tower where the young prince resided.

Many liked Izaar, but Jay had his reservations. His manners were deplorable towards the servants and the soldiers. He was his father's son.

A shadow flitted nearby the tower. Jay straightened up from where he was stationed. Without thinking, he lengthened his steps. As he neared, he saw nothing.

Then he felt a presence. It chilled his blood. Someone was behind him. Grabbing the hilt of his sword, he turned to see the King's brother with a scowl.

"Soldier, what troubles you? It looks as if you have seen a ghost!" Riam asked. His men who stood beside him sniggered.

Flushing, he said, "I thought I saw something."

"You sure, it was not your shadow!" Riam looked annoyed at his presumed incompetence.

Jay winced but held his tongue. Another soft-belly who scorned the poor. It gladdened him that Arianna was nothing like her relatives. He despised the peacocks who pranced with pride, wrapped in their vanity.

"Don't stand there. Now go!" Riam dismissed him.

Reddening, he returned to his post. One of these days he would elevate himself amongst the noble. It was the only he could be with Arianna, a noblewoman. The thought made him smile as he knew what he had to do. It filled his chest with hope.

------------------------------

Prince Izaar looked up from his perusal as the nearby torch flickered from the movement near the threshold. He exclaimed, "Ah, Ethan! I see you got the missive to share supper with me."

"Yes! Your servant boy delivered your missive an hour ago." Like always, Ethan's alert eyes roved through his chambers, searching the corners where the light didn't reach.

"Come in, my friend." The Prince beckoned him.

Ethan entered and asked, "What's all this?"

"This is a map of my father's empire," Prince Izaar gesture to the leather parchment that contained the boundaries of the Estorie empire and the other kingdoms. "See here, this is Morag. I just held a counsel with my uncle and the rumours are swirling that they have once again turned deaf ears to the rebels who dare mock us."

"And yet, I wasn't part of it. Does your father know?" Nothing of Ethan's thoughts showed on his face.

"I thought to let you know later as everyone know that you and Riam don't see eye to eye. And no, my father doesn't know as he is too busy with whoring and wine." Izaar chuckled with bitterness. "I think an iron-fist is needed to deal with Morag."

"You mean a war," Ethan guessed his intentions.

"Do you know the reason I stayed behind at our border? It wasn't the women. It was to receive words if there is a battle, then the Murad, Shazire and Middleton will give me the weapons and the coins needed," Izaar said with a triumphant smile as he studied the Commander. "Now, all I need is Arlington's support. If you join me in this pursuit with your men that total to five hundred in Estoir,  I will lower the tribute payment to half once I am the king."