Chapter 7: Night raid attack and defense, Part 2

Youshi (5-7 pm).

A tent five miles from the western suburbs.

Inside the tent, a map is spread out on a small stone table. Although it looked hastily drawn and may not be finely done, but it was very detailed such that one could clearly recognize the main structures.

Gu Yun stood in the middle, standing by her right side Ge Jing Yun pointed to the edge of the map, he said: "Less than a mile outside the camp is a clearing, a mile away the rest is a dense thicket of bushes and trees. My army can lurk in here after the night falls. This is the nearest to the camp. It would be difficult to be discovered here as the trees are very dense."

Gu Yun nodded, Ge Jing Yun continued, pointing to the center of the map, he explained: "There are sixty-seven rooms inside the camp, most of which are located in its rear end, in front of the camp are the main headquarter's hall, three adjacent halls, two study rooms, also far behind the gate there's a small sleeping quarter for the soldiers. As to the distribution of the troops within the camp, it seems that an estimated three hundred soldiers are guarding on top of the gate. In several other directions of the high walls also around a hundred or more archers are stationed. In the entire camp, near to the courtyard of the soldiers' sleeping quarter is the only area where security is a little bit lax, we can infiltrate from here. But I also found a room behind the camp where soldiers are relatively concentrated; it's very closely guarded, almost every half a stick of incense there's a team of guards patrolling, searching for the wooden case therein wouldn't be easy."

Drawing a circle on this room on the map, Ge Jing Yun quite confidently declared: "So I guess, the wooden case would be in this one."

Glancing over again, the main structures of the camp has been etched in her mind, submitting to Ge Jing Yun's hands the folded drawing, Gu Yun said: "Let your soldiers memorize this topographic map, they must be familiar of the terrain even without the map."

"Yes." Ge Jing Yun went out of the tent, Gu Yun glanced sideways to Leng Xiao and asked: "How's your weapons preparation?"

Leng Xiao replied: "three hundred shields and five thousand arrows have been prepared, furthermore the things you want are also ready."

Nodding with satisfaction, she looked at the sky which has turned dark gray, Gu Yun's clear voice said: "everyone prepare to depart after a stick of incense!"

"Yes." Once again their forceful reply displayed these young people's high morale and confidence, but ...

After lying on the underbrush and keeping watch for four hours (two shichen), the said high morale very easily turned to growing restlessness; on their first day as soon as it got dark they were already keeping watch, but no one thought of keeping watch this way for four hours. Gu Yun did not explain a word, and gave no other commands, they were just lying on their stomachs the whole time! If they hadn't undergone endurance training, they would have found this position unbearable already a long while ago.

Noting the soldiers around him were getting more and more unsettled, Ge Jing Yun slowly crawled to Gu Yun's side, whispering he asked: "Boss, what are we going to do now?"

Compared to their edginess, Gu Yun seemed very calm, her eyes sharply watching everything around, she coldly replied with one word: "wait."

Wait? Waiting exactly for what? Ge Jing Yun was befuddled, slightly squinting Gu Yun was staring into the distance and replied: "waiting for Su Yu to come."

Waiting for someone else he still can understand, but why wait for lieutenant general Su? A surprised Ge Jing Yun said: "The night raid battle has a three-day duration, how can you be certain he'll come tonight, it's already midnight now, even if he indeed comes, shouldn't we strike first and gain the upper hand?"