Chapter 7: Night raid attack and defense, Part 4

Understanding dawned on Gu Yun's eyes, letting out a deep sigh she said: "Su Ren's good!" In fact, the five hundred soldiers were not there at all to guard the room in the rear court, but were dispatched to patrol in order to mislead them, simultaneously the guards were able to arrest the infiltrators before they've reached the courtyard, what they really want to protect is the courtyard! So on one hand, in front is the tower, behind it is a fierce commanding officer, athough the courtyard had no patrolling guards, in the camp it has become the safest and most unreachable place.

Fingers gently groped on the drawings, going by Su Ren's character no way could the wooden case be inside the main headquarter, it should be in . . . . . her index finger finally stopped at one place. Gu Yun's eyes gleamed slyly like a cat's in the dim light, Gu Yun hooked her fingers towards Leng Xiao and Ge Jing Yun, laughed and said: "You two come over, we'll divide our soldiers and fan out in two directions, Leng Xiao, you from ..."

The night darkened, it ought to be a tranquil night, but because of the red-hot blazing torches, the wave after wave of attacks and all the clamor, the night turned out restless and noisy.

Following Su Yu's command for a change in battle formation, most of the soldiers rushed in front and have now arrived below the tower. To capture the tower, there were only two ways: first, to knock down and open the gates; second, to climb the high walls and force entrance from atop, the walls are more than three zhang tall (~30 feet), even if they're able to fling up rope ladders, climbing also needs a lot of time, the tower's protected by many archers, not to mention the hundreds of guards waiting for them in the tower.

Therefore Su Yu opted to break open the gates, in front, dozens of soldiers jointly wrapping their arms around a big tree trunk, under cries of rhythmic cadence rammed the gates repeatedly, the sound of a dull thud coming from the towering bronze gates can be heard, jolting people's minds and shaking their hearts.

Atop the city wall tower one had a clear view of the outside of the gate tower and the rear court, the situation inside the camp can be clearly observed from this vantage point. On top of the wall tower, Su Ren looked down on the soldiers holding the tree trunk slamming into the gates, instead of fury his face wore a cool and unhurried smile. The quality of the new army recruits is excellent, brave young men will once again join the ranks of the Su family army, on this note he's naturally delighted. Beside him, Han Shu also candidly laughed, saying: "the training on battle formations is pretty good!" The training took only a fortnight yet formation changes were accomplished smoothly and without a hitch, their first time on the battlefield yet there were no hints of timidity and panic, not bad at all!

"If you continue trifling with them with your arrows, it won't take long before the gates would be knocked open." Han Shu said, gleefully gloating a bit.

Su Ren relied on the archers to keep this herd of greenhorns outside, he reckoned that was impossible now, with shields over their heads, even the arrows falling like rain weren't able to disrupt their battle formation, the guards too were at their wit's end.

"Someone come." Su Ren called out softly.

"Yes." A lieutenant quickly stepped forward.

"Attack with rocks." Hesitating for a moment, Su Ren continued, "choose small pieces."

"Yes."

Listening to Su Ren's command, Han Shu could not help but laugh heartily, whacking him on the shoulder, laughingly he jested: "Incredibly you're the loving type, to be so considerate to the two battling armies!"

Su Ren laughed in silence, but his deep and dark eyes were secretly scouring for Gu Yun's figure, he can't believe that she'd only send men to search out the rear of the camp and afterwards no longer take action, in an hour the sun will shine, what plan is she concocting?