Chapter 18

Author's Note.

Hope you like the chapter. Please comment and vote, I'd love to know what you all think. To make up for last chapter being shorter this chapter is one of the longest ones if not the longest chapter I have written yet. Now, let's enter the Sea of Monsters. Thank you.

Percy POV

"We're here," Annabeth told us.

"No, not yet. We have to get past security," I told them while rolling my eyes.

As we looked forward, we found a large mound of rock to the north. It was anywhere from one hundred to two hundred feet tall with ominous black almost obsidian-colored rocks. Sharp rocks jutted from the water crashing into the island of black rock. Half a mile south of there was a swirling maelstrom. Then the water exploded from the center of the maelstrom like ten thousand geysers going off at the same time with the ferocity of a pressurized nuke.

"Charybdis!" Annabeth screamed.

"Hey, sis," I said out loud.

"Charybdis is a daughter of Poseidon?" Silena asked.

"Most people forget that part. She was really beautiful, once," I told them. "Zeus and Poseidon got mad at each other. She sided with dad, started swallowing up and destroying land in his name and Zeus turned her from a beautiful sea goddess to a monster of the sea."

"You make the history of monsters and gods sound boring," Silena told me.

"I like it. Short and to the point. As long as there's nothing stopping me from blowing her up with cannons I don't care if she's a daughter of Gaea herself," Clarisse told us.

"She is," I said with a unreadable face.

"There has to be another way?" Annabeth pleaded. "We get too close to her and the ship is gone. Then we have to move closure to Scylla, and she'll eat the crew."

"Yet, another goddess turned to a monster. I think I have too many of them in there," I joked, trying to revive the tension.

"Who turned her?" Silena asked.

"Circe, something about being jealous that some minor sea god fell in love with Scylla instead of her," I returned.

"Can we stop with the history lesson and talk about the fact that we are going past the two monsters with the highest body counts in the history of the gods' green earth!" Annabeth screamed. "We could go through the Clashing Rocks. Jason went through them."

"Since the death of his daughter the previous user of Olethros made everything more dangerous," I told her "We would need to go through the Clashing Rocks in less than a second to get past them. I might be able to guide the tides to make us faster but then the rocks will move faster since the tides are picking up. It's a vicious cycle."

We started picking up speed towards the two overgrown, monstrous, security guards. When we were getting closer, I controlled the tides in our favor. Tyson said something about the pistons being strained and that didn't sound good to me. I tightened my fist on my now full-size Olethros spear.

The winds helped us speed ahead while moving us as close to the whirlpool I called a sister without her actually eating us. Trust me, as someone who was eaten by his sister before it is not something that you want to do. The worst part is I did it more than once. We were halfway there when Scylla grew angry.

She began to wrap her slithery, snakelike appendages around the ship from her cave on the black island. If you are wondering how Scylla looked like here is an artistic rendition of it. Imagine if you will a beautiful woman with a body that supermodels will do anything for, with near angelic beauty. Okay, now you know the polar opposite of how Scylla looks like. She has a body that had scales that were the cross between a reptilian and a fish with gray coloring.