Chapter 40

Riley's POV

        "Say it. Outloud."

        "He's obviously a fairy," Tom tosses popcorn at the T.V. I laugh as he imitates Bella in a high pitched voice. "Vampire!"  Tom and I decided to have a movie night and he chose Twillight. I stretch as my stomach growls for lunch.

        "Ah, I prefer werewolves."

        "Hells yes," he exclaims. He stands up with me and we walk to the kitchen. "You ready for the ball?"

        "Um, no?" I hand him a large piece of cake and two forks to share as we walk back to the ridiculous movie. "I hate anything that involves dressing up or being lady-like." To prove this, I shove a forkful of cake in my mouth.

        His brow furrows. "I can tell. You have chocolate on your face." I shrug and he leans forward to wipe it off.

        "Achoo!" My nose tickles as I feel more sneezes build up. "Awe, man!"

        Tom pulls a face and wipes his hand on his jeans. "Why are you . . . Daniel!" He jumps up and runs to the door, throwing it open to reveal a bloody wolf.

        I choke down a sob that threatens to leave at the thought of Rey. Still sneezing, I rush forward and run my hands gently through his fur to check for all his injuries. "SUSAN!"

        There's a large gash on his side, multiple bite wounds on his shoulders and thighs, and I'm pretty sure his left arm is broken. He whines as I call his name. "Can you shift back? What happened?"

        Daniel's whine turns into a groan as his bones crack and he shifts back. "Rogues," he gasps as blood trickles from his nose or mouth - I'm not sure which. Susan reaches us with a medical bag. "At the Western Border. They attacked us and Alpha sent me for back up."

        "Alexander is out there?" I exclaim. My heart beat picks up as I think about himn getting injured. Tom gives me a light shove. "Go get back up and help Alexander." I nod and lean down to kiss Daniel's cheek softly, trying not to sneeze.

        "If you die, I'll kill you." I turn and run down the stairs, yelling for certain warriors to come with me. They meet me at the door and we take off for the border.

        It's a blood bath. Injured wolves fight against equally injured Rogues. They guys with me shift and take off to help their fellow pack members. I finally spot Alexander. He's fighting in human form, still wearing sweat pants from earlier with no shirt. The pants are covered in blood, but I'm not sure whose it is. There's blood falling from his hairline and nose. Claw marks travel down his left arm and a bite mark covers his shoulder. A large bleeding gash traces from his left shoulder to his right hip. He's fighting off about seven Rogue wolves.

        I run over to him and stand back to back.

        "What are you doing here?" He growls as a wolf bites at his hand. Alexander grabs its lower jaw and yanks it viciously. It whines at the pain of a broken jaw.

        "Helping you, you idiot." I catch the side of a Rogue's with the toe of my boot. "Why would you come without backup? Why aren't you fighting in your stonger wolf form?"

        "My pocket is important," he yells. This shocks me and I pause in confusion. "What - Ah!" Nails scrape down my arm, earning a very loud growl from Alexander. The Rogues pause at the power, their natural instincts telling them to submit. The pause allows our wolves to lunge forward and take advantage. I duck as a Rogue jumps at me, forgetting about Alexander behind me. I try to shout, but the wolf has already surprised him, taking him to the ground.

        The wolves Alexander had been fighting pounce and dog pile on him. "Zach!" Our wolves, having killed the rest of the Rogues, rush forward, pulling the wolves off Alexander. Two are already dead - a result of Alexander's strength.

        I drop down beside him as he lies bleeding on the cold ground. "Alexander," I call softly as I cup his face. He sends me a bloody grin, patting his pocket before blacking out. "Let's head back guys. Help the ones that can't walk."

        Since I'm not strong enough to carry Alexander, Zach picks him up while I help someone limp back. When we get back to the pack house, I notice Susan has called the doctor from Cross Pack and he immediately begins treating our wounded.

        No deaths, thank God.

        Daniel is healing up and walking with Tom's help. "How is he," Daniel asks.

        Mentally, he's a lunatic," I scoff. "He wouldn't shift because of his pocket - whatever that means." He laughs and I wonder what he knows that I don't. "I'm going to make dinner," I grumble.

        Diana smiles genly as I enter the kitchen. "Are you helping today, Luna?"

        "Diana . . ."

        "Right. Mouse." She corrects herself at my request.

        I nod to her previous question. "What do we have?" We rifle through the ice box. "Chicken fried steak?" I suggest.

        "Ah! With gravy and potatoes and vegetables!" I laugh at her excitement and take it as a yes. I heat up the grease and pull out the ingredients for the batter.

        "How is the Alpha?" Diana questions after minutes of silence. We're the only ones cooking tonight.

        "An idiot, but Susan said he should be healed by morning."

        She nods and continues her humming.

        Deja vu hits me as I walk to Alexander's medical wing with my dinner. One thing is for sure -

        My live will never be boring again.