Chapter 8

CRUNCH. "Shit, what the hell?"

Vaguely, I'm aware that I'm laying on a white sheet, but not the floor. Oh, right. Tom is under the blanket. We thought it would be cool to fall asleep like Rose and The Doctor against the white wall.

There is a sigh and someone picks me up. "Let's get you to bed." The deep voice - deeper and silkier than Patrick's last night. Wait, who? - carries me through an open door to the bed. We're almost there and I'm ready to lay on a cloud when suddenly:
"MOUSE! THE BED IS MADE OF LAVA!"

"Shit!" My eyes pop open and I jump from the voice's hold and booty-bump the floor. I fall onto my back after the initial impact. "Ow . . ."

"My head hurts, Mouse."

"Mine, too, Pond."

We bust out laughing, but our hangover begins to drum at the same time.

"Ow . . ."

"What the hell is going on?"

"Ow," I complain. "Shh . . ."

"No, you don't 'shh' me!" My arms are yanked upwards, popping all of my stiff bones. I wince at a pain in my shoulder and I see Pond looks 'piss-your-pants' frightened. "What the hell is going on?" Alexander gives me an almost rough shake. I cry out in fear - fear of his hand that could so easily touch me in a violent way.

"Mouse!"

"You shut your freaking mouth, Omega."

"Let me go . . ."

"I don't see why you're messing around-"

"Let. Me. Go."

"-with my Luna! I should have you kicked out of the pack! You are trash and you should be worki-"

"Dammit, let me go!" Alexander blinks and releases me. "What's your problem? I'm sorry for trashing your place. Tom and I were just having some fun. I'll clean it up."

Alexander pinches the bridge of his nose. "Baby, I'm sorry."

"She hates being called 'baby'." Pond mutters.

"You got something to say, mutt?" The alpha threatens.

"Yeah. Do you even know her name? Her nickname? How she got her nickname?"

Alexander goes on defense. "What? And you do?"

"Hell yeah, I do."

I push them apart. "Guys, stop, please. Pond, can you give us a second? Go get dressed for school and take some tablets."

Tom leaves and I face Alexander alone. He sighs and wraps his arms around my waist. "I'm sorry."

"Why did you freak out?"

"Zach told you mates are protective, right?" I nod and he continues. "Well, it's because of our wolves. And right now - because of the situation - my wolf thinks of you as our mate. That's what Lunas usually are, you know. As an alpha, I feel everything stronger than a normal wolf. Like, five times stronger. When we saw you with Tom, he couldn't resist. We got possessive."

We? He? "We? He?"

"My wolf. He's part of me and we're part of each other."

"Okay, well, Pond is my friend so tell your wolf to get over it."

He beams and tightens his arms in a protective hug. "Yes, ma'am. I'll drive yall to school."

Alexander is driving us to school. Tom and I look like twins with our baggy hoodies and sunglasses.

"Mouse, your phone went off."

"Thanks, Pond." He passes it up to me. Reading the message, I huff.

"What?" Alexander asks as he glance at me. Man, he looks good driving. Windswept hair, nice button up shirt with the top button undone, light jeans. His sleeves are pushed up, showing his corded muscle. I see the hint of a tattoo peaking from the sleeve on his tricep. "Luna?"

"What? Oh, my parents left town for a week."

It's quiet for a moment.

"So, um, what is your name?"

I giggle. "Riley Rivers. Mouse is my nickname because I sound like a mouse when I sneeze."

"Cute."