Chapter 42

Riley's POV

I remember back when Dad told me there were 40 packs. I thought 40 Alpha's was a lot, but I didn't think of the others.

       40 Alphas need 40 Lunas and 40 Betas and their mates, and their children, and their children's children.

        Alexander pulls my hand to move me from my frozen postition at the fancy entrance. This place is organized appropriately for a ball. Gold lights dazzle the large room around a huge chandelier. The floors are a dark wood that echos the clicking of feminine shoes.

        "Alpha Black, how is your pack?" Alexander's voice startles me and I realize the mingling has begun. I shift in my sparkly heels as the woman next to the older man in front of us smiles at me sweetly. Everyone has left the mdidle of the room open for couples to dance to the live orchestra. Food tables line the walls where I notice most of the Beta's have gathered - Daniel and Tom included.

        "We're progressing," the buff man replies. He has dark hair and light skin with corded muscles rippling beneath his grey suit. "Many are devastated, but the Rogues will not prevail."

        Alexander mumbles an agreement before turning to me. "I'd like you to meet my mate." Damn him for bringing me into the conversation. The Alpha holds his hand out to me and I gently place mine in it with a nervous smile. "Luna Crescent," he places a kiss on the back of my hand. "About time someone came along to control Alpha Crescent."

        Alexander protests and they begin to bicker.

        "N-nice to meet you, Luna Black."

        "And you," she replies.

        I'm whisked away by Alexander. "Alpha Winters," he begins again, catching up on Alpha gossip. I turn to Winters' mate. "I'm Alexander's mate, Riley." I stretch my hand out. "It's nice to meet you, Luna Winters."

        The blond woman gives me a sharp look of detest, ignoring my outstreatched hand which I awkwardly now lower to my side. Alpha Winters continues talking as Alexander pulls me close and kisses my cheek gently. I can feel his urge to glare at her, but I know it would not go over well if he did.

        "Ah, Alpha Winters. I see you've meet my daughter," Dad moves to stand on the other side of me and I see Luna Winters widen her eyes. She realizes I have two Alphas at my defense - outranking her one - and quickly changes her attitude toward me. 

        She and Melissa would be great friends.

        Dad and Cindy travel with us as we meet new Alphas. Well, I meet new Alphas. Everyone else here knows everyone. I think Tom and I are the only new people.

        "Alpha Anderson."

        "Alpha Lewis."

        "Alpha Ware."

        "Alpha Summers."

        It's while we're talking to Alpha and Luna Serrano that I'm almost pushed over. Something has bumped into my leg and when I look down, I see the culprit. The adorable little boy is wearing a baby tux with a bow tie. He looks around, not recognizing anyone, and I see that 'I'm about to cry' look dance on his face.

        "Awe, don't cry." I reach down and pick up the boy, placing him on my hip. "What's your name?"

        He clutches my shoulder and ducks his head. "Thomas Collins," he mumbles. Thomas perks up suddenly, puffing out his chest. "I'm gonna be Alpha one day."