Chapter 24

"Is your pack not missing you?" I ask as we stroll down the side walk. We'd sat in the diner just making small talk as we finished our coffee. Alpha Stone likes his black coffee with two sugars also.

        "I'm letting my son take a little control before the challenge.  That tends to make the switch easier on the pack." He pauses and directs us to a park where we sit on the swings. "You should meet him sometime. His name is Rey." I nod. "Perhaps you two will talk at the dance.

        "What dance?" I ask in confusion.

        Alpha Stone glances at me. "Oh, Alexander hasn't told you? Every year, the Alpha's, Luna's and all their children attend this ball. It's a very nice way to keep in touch with everyone."

        "How many  packs are there?"

        "43 in the United States."

        I gasp in shock. "That many?" Alpha Stone nods. "Wow," I breathe.

        We're silent for a little bit and when I look at him, he is already inspecting me. I open my mouth to ask him what's wrong, but he speaks before me.

        "Riley, I . . . If you knew something important that could affect someone's life in a good, but also bad, way . . .  Would you tell them?" Alpha Stone is very serious and I think deeply about the question.

        "I think, if it was me," I begin. "I would want to know."

        Alpha Stone nods, "Then, I have something to tell you.

        My blood goes cold even with my heat. What could he have to say to me? "W-what?"

        "Seventeen years ago, your mother cheated on your father . . . with me.  You're my daughter, Riley."

        I shoot to my feet in shock. My heat threatens to knock me down, but I fight through. "I don't understand, Alpha Stone.  You're not . . . You shouldn't lie to me."

        He stands also. "You should talk to your mother." When he places a hand on my shoulder, I flinch back at the burning sensation. "Are you alright?" His eyes narrow in concern before he understands.  "Alexander said you were in heat. You still are in heat. Do you want me to call him?"

        "No! I'm mad at him. I just want some ice and to go home. This is all ridiculous!" I turn and begin to stalk to my jeep. Alpha Stone easily falls into step with me.

        "What did he do to you?"  He growls protectively.

        Where is my stupid car? I turn in circles trying to find it. "Nothing, I just . . . need . . . some ice-" I become breathless and fall on my last word. I vaguely feel the man who calls himself my father catch me.

Alexander's POV

"Where is she?" I yell at the men in my office. Zach looks at Daniel, Daniel looks at Tom, and Tom leans forward to look at Zach. I roar in frustration, throwing my office container of pens across the room where it shatters against the wall.

        The three boys flinch as broken plastic hits them. Suddenly, my office door flies open.

        "What did you do to my daugher?" Alpha Stone demands. My parents follow behind them. They must be back from their 'trip'. Stone stands chest to chest, eye to eye with me. I'm slightly taller and even with my mark, I have more power than him.

        However, I'm not sure how easily I can fight a man's love for his daughter.

        I growl softly to show I am not surrendering before stepping back into my own personal space. "It was a misunderstanding," I mutter.