Chapter 18

"I am."

I slide back from his arms. "Oh, um, congratulations. But why isn't she Luna?"

Alexander looks down. "She doesn't know she's my mate."

"Alexander! You have to tell her!"

He nods. "When the time is right, I will."

"Where are the schedules?"

"Here, sir." I step forward and hand Alexander the patrol routine. We're in a large room with an even larger pack. It's noon and this meeting has been nothing but plans.

"Good. Now, as most of you know, I have a meeting Thursday night-"

You look so perfect standing there

I blush as all eyes turn to me. Giving an embarrassed laugh, I excuse myself to answer.

"Hey, Derek." I say once I'm in the hall.

"Babe, where are you?"

"I'm with a couple of-"

"Why didn't you come to school?"

"We had a-"

"I can't believe you!"
"Derek, I-"

"You're so selfish! I bet-"

"Derek-"

"-you stayed home to eat, you fat-"

"You CANNOT speak to me that way! Dammit, Derek, I'm tired of this shit!"

"Hey! I can talk to you any way I want-"

"No-"

"I am talking!"

"And I'm not listening! We're done!"

Derek is silent for a moment. "No, baby, please-"

Click. I end the call and turn off my cell phone. I sigh.

"Damn." I jump around in fright.

"Pond, how did you . . .?"

"Werewolf hearing." He shrugs as he pulls me into a nice hug.

I freeze. "Everyone heard that?"

"And still hearing this," he chuckles. "By the way, I loved the Doctor Who quote."

We're sitting on the stairs as the meeting ends. Everyone is dismissed and soon the hallway is clear. Zach plops across the stair in front of us. His long body looks cramped between the wall and railing. He sighs.

A few seconds later, Daniels huffs from his new seat behind us. If that isn't enough, Alexander blows air through his teeth from the spot beside me.

We sit silently except for our breathing. The electricity running between Alexander and me is almost crackling, even though we aren't touching.

Then:

"I don't want to-"

"Maybe you shouldn't-"

"Luna, don't-"

"Let's not-"

"You don't have to-"

"Go to school tomorrow." We finish simultaneously, the same way we began.

"Yeah," the five of us agree.

Later that night, I'm laying in bed with Alexander. He doesn't usually come in this early, but he has a long run ahead of him tomorrow for the meeting.

"I'm not sorry," he says while playing with my wavy hair. "That yall broke up."

"I loved him."

He sighs and we lay there quietly in our own thoughts, his fingers still in my hair.

"I haven't even cried," I confess. "I guess it wasn't what I thought it was."