1.5 Comfort

I woke up in an unfamiliar place. The mattress beneath me was softer than what I was used to. The room was filled with a golden color as I slowly opened my eyes, the sun was setting and beamed through the windows. As I got my bearings I realized I was in the Med Bay. I sat up slowly, vaguely remembering what had happened that got me landed in here. Had I really passed out in a corn field? That seemed so pathetic to me. I reached for the glass of water sitting on the desk beside the bed, I was extremely thirsty for unknown reasons. I downed the glass quickly, wipping my chin when some missed my mouth.

A knock at the door startled me, I set the glass down and awaited my visitor. In walked Clint and Jack.

"What happened?" I asked before they had a chance to speak.

Clint checked a notepad on the desk, "Cally wrote that it was heat exhaustion." He sighed, "Makes sense, considering your symptoms."

I groaned, frustrated with myself for letting that happen, "I'm a bloody slinthead."

Jack cocked his head to the side, confused by my language, "What was that?"

I laughed at myself, "Sorry, been spendin' too much time with Newt."

"Ah," Jack nodded, "You know, you scared the klunk out of me when I found you passed out, face-down in the dirt like that..."

" 'M sorry, Jack, I'll try to be more careful next time."

He patted my back, "Where is Cally, by the way, Clint? She's always here I feel like-"

Clint snorted, "She does have a life outside of her job. I believe she is with Minho, Leah, and Ben."

Jack nodded, "Okay." Then he turned to me, "Do you need anything, Felix?"

I recite the first thing on my mind, "Newt-"

Jack smiled, surprised, "Haha... uh, okay. I'll go see if he's free..."

My face grew red and I looked down, "Thank you..."

Clint followed Jack out of the room, content with the state of my well-being. I continued to sip on my glass of water, I could tell I was very dehydrated. The more water I drank, the better I felt, but no amount of water could cure my embarrassment. How could I have done something so reckless to myself? I knew it was a hot day, why was I so stubborn to keep working without a break?

After minutes of ridiculing myself, there was a knock on the door.

"It's open," I announced. In walked golden boy himself, complete with a smile.

"Hey, 'Lix. Heard you wanted to see me?" He sat on the end of the bed, he was calm today, comforting.

"I missed you-" I chuckled, but my words were sincere.

His expression melted, "I missed you too... I was worried."

I nodded, "I know. Believe me, I'm kicking myself over how dumb it was."

"It was dumb," Newt agreed. "But shuck, Felix. I've done a lot dumber."

I laughed nervously, knowing where this could be going.

"Luckily," He sighed. "We both have friends who love us enough to forgive us for those dumb mistakes."

I thought carefully, playing with a loose thread in my sheets. "We do. I forgive you, Newt."

He looked up, meeting my eyes, "I... forgive you too... even though your mistake was on a much smaller scale than mine-"

I shook my head, "Doesn't matter. I put myself in danger, I made people worry about me. And from what I've gathered, you did something similar. You don't have to tell me, Newt... I know it's in the past, but I'm here for you..." I knew it was risky to bring up such a touchy subject with him, but it seemed like a good opportunity, and I wanted him to know my thoughts, life here was too unstable for him not to know.