1.8 Love

The months following Nick's death were odd. I mean, why wouldn't they be? But things got stranger and stranger as time went on in the Glade.

The crops, for one thing, were rapidly dying. After the herb garden completely went out, our apple trees were next. Then our corn, and our root vegetables will probably follow soon after. It was terrifying and I was starting to believe what Newt had said about the Creators cutting us off. The Glade was running out of time, we needed a break in our discoveries and quick. Truthfully, how much more of the Maze did we need to uncover? Maybe the answer was right in front of us and we just needed to look at it with a new perspective.

People in the Glade were starting to get scared. Rations were divided in half and everyone was hesitant about using supplies. The Creators still sent almost anything we asked for, but wouldn't send animals or seeds or much food. Just some of the basics. Whenever we got blessed with rain, we would scatter to pull out any item to collect it in. It's like we treated water as liquid diamonds.

"Hey, Lix," Newt greeted me. I turned in my chair at the Keeper's table and pecked him on the cheek.

He sat down on one side of me, Cally taking the other. We were having a Keeper's meeting to determine how long we had left before all hell broke lose.

"Good morning," Alby welcomed tiredly. "We all know why we're here, but I'd say we each go around and share the... state of our workers. I want to see how they're handling everythin'."

Gally took it upon himself to start, "The Builders are crabby. They haven't been given anything to fix and it's bummin' em out. They're bored."

Alby sighed, making notes in a pad of paper, "We can assign them temporary filler jobs doing something else if needed, Gally. Anyone else?"

I spoke this time, jumping at my chance to advocate for my Track-Hoes as their Keeper. "The Track-Hoes are scared. We're out here scrambling to keep things alive, and there's a lot of underlying tension because of it, I don't want them panicking over this. Feelin' like it's their fault..."

Alby nodded, "We can arrange for some stress free activities, that should help them keep their minds off of it."

Cally spoke up this time, "What are we supposed to do with the new Greenie coming today?"

"Chances are, they're gonna be panicked already," Alby shrugged, "No use in making that worse by exposing them to the resource shortage. Treat them like every other Greenie."

Cally nods at that response, seemingly satisfied.

Frypan went next, "Leah and I have started being more... protective of the food supply. Starting tomorrow morning, we are issuing rations." Fry's information started an uproar in the meeting room. Various arguments ranged across the building, both for and against the situation.

"Quiet!" Alby yelled. "Frypan is right. Food and other supplies as well are scarce right now. This is a temporary fix until we can figure out a proper way to reuse water for crops. Once a day, a Glader will receive their rations. That is to last them the whole day. I'll be sure to reinforce some security positions to limit theft."

Frypan nodded and sat down, satisfied with Alby's words.

"Alright," Alby continued. "Does anyone else have any concerns?"

"What's the status on exploring the maze?" Newt asked from beside me.

Minho sighed, "It's the same as last week. The maze is just repeating cycles, I'm 90% positive we've explored it all."

Alby nods and Newt takes notes. "Thank you," he said.

"Meeting adjourned," Alby finalized. Most Keepers stood and left the room, but I hung back, eager to hear Alby's thoughts if he was willing to share.