1.7 Live

I woke up the next morning with Newt's arm wrapped around my stomach. His leg was on the floor, keeping the hammock rocking.

"Good morning, love," He murmered.

I rubbed my eyes, "Why didn't you wake me? We have work to do..."

"You needed some sleep after yesterday-"

I sighed, pressing my head deeper into his chest, "You're probably right."

He smiled, "I love you..."

I grinned, those words sent my heartbeat into a frenzy, "I love you too."

"We should stay here forever," Newt hummed.

I nodded, "Life is homophobic. Doesn't leave us alone."

Newt chuckled, "Sure, baby." I responded by lifting my head up to kiss his neck. "We have to go, though..."

That's when I remembered what was supposed to happen today, my body sunk with dread. "The box will be coming soon..."

Newt tucked some hair behind my ear, "Come on, we can't think about that."

I nodded, "You're right. Come on, there's work to be done."

***

Needless to say, I spent the majority of the morning letting work distract me.

It wasn't an escapism tactic I thought fondly of, or would use often. However, that day, I didn't have a better solution.

I could tell Newt was worried for me, I mean, why wouldn't he be? He was a good person, and I loved him for it. But I simply could not shake this feeling that something just awful was going to happen to Nick.

I was in the middle of tending to the herbs, giving them generous amounts of water and attention. They sure did need it. I was in the zone, focused, on something, just anything that didn't have to do with Nick or that shucking box. I was on edge. Maybe that's why Zart was able to scare me so badly.

"Boo!" He yelled right in my ear.

I turned and quickly slapped him as my first reaction, "Zart?! What the fuck?!"

He leaned backwards, holding his stomach and chuckling, "You shoulda seen the look on your face!"

I scoffed at him, "Yeah, yeah, very funny. Now what do you want?"

The question sobered him up, brought back his stoic stance and features. He exhaled, "I... I think it's about time you announce your new role"

My words stumbled as I attempted to answer, "I- I don't know anything about being a leader or the responsibilities attached, I-"

Zart shook his head, "People can help you with that. I can help you with that. The truth is, Felix, you know the craft better than I do. You have an incredible talent. And I think you're ready."

"And if they don't listen to me?" My brow furrowed.

Zart smiled, "Buddy, they already listen to you better than they do to me. And it's not like I'm dying, I'll still be here to help you if you want it."

I nodded, starting to be more comfortable with the idea, "Okay..."

That was good enough for him, I guess. Zart pulled me away from the herb garden, and out into the clearing. He whistled loudly to catch the attention of the other Track-Hoes. "Track-Hoe meeting!"