2.3 Burn

A few days later I severely regretted not shoving every last bit of pizza down my throat.

My stomach churned with violence as it begged for me to feed myself. I could almost feel my body eating itself from the inside out.

It was so painful it was hard to sleep. Most of us did nothing but lie down in silence.

"'Lix..." A hand rested on my shoulder. "Baby, wake up. The door is open." I wasn't sure it wasn't a dream.

Reluctantly, I opened my eyes and allowed the florescent light spill into my vision.

Newt peered over me, he looked worried.

"You're in pain..." He noted.

I shook my head, "Just... hungry." It was the truth.

He nodded, "Do you need help up? Minho says there's food outside." I didn't even have any energy to get excited.

I got up slowly, using Newt for support. He led me to the door that had been closed for days, but was now finally open.

There was a table laid out with granola, water, apples, and beef jerky. It doesn't sound very appetizing now, but in the moment I collapsed into the bench, ready to abolish my hunger with pathetic foods.

Newt sat me at the table and I meekly took a bite of jerky. It was like nothing Fry or Leah had ever made but shuck, it was delicious.

"Don't go too fast," Newt warned. "Jack made that mistake and threw up. It was gross."

I smiled lightly. I looked around and noticed that not everyone was awake yet, there was also a face I didn't recognize...  A man older than any of us was sitting in a chair, thirty feet away.

"Don't try it," Minho said. "He won't talk to any of us and there's a sort of invisible barrier in front of him... Found out the hard way."

"What?" My brow scrunched. "That's insane."

Newt shrugged beside me, "We aren't in the Glade anymore. I think people here work on different rules..."

"That's so... bizarre." I took a bite out of a green apple, the tart juice fell down my chin and I swiped it away.

Newt looked at Minho. "Where's Tommy?"

The Runner shrugged, "Probably still on his ass, sleepin'."

Rin plopped down in the empty seat next to me, reached over me and grabbed themselves a water bottle.

"Mornin'" They said as Aris sat across from them.

"So we don't know the rat mans intentions, right?" Newt asked.

"Ratman?"I inquired.

Minho nodded at the man protected by the invisible shield. "The shank looks like a rat." I shrugged, I supposed he did resemble a rodent.

Rin just nodded, "No, we don't know what he wants at all. Just told us to wait."

I groaned, "I'm sick of waiting. We need to find the girls."

"We all agree," Aris said. "But we can't help them if we're dead or locked away."

"The girls are strong," Minho reminded us. "They're gonna be okay."

"What the shuck-" A new voice joined our conversation. Thomas stood over Minho. "Who the hell is that?" He pointed at Ratman.

"Wow, welcome sleepy head. That guy said he has instructions for us!" Minho said sarcastically.

"Has he given them?" Thomas asked.

Newt shook his head, "We were told to wait."

"That's ridiculous. I'm just gonna go talk to him," Thomas stood and approached the man.