2.8 Sinker

I had forgotten how much I just exactly despised sand.

Two minutes back in the heat and the elements and the god-forbidden sand and I already wanted to crawl back into the safety and comfort of the run-down office building.

Thomas could tell I was not having a good time.

"Enjoying the life of luxury?" He teased me.

I rolled my eyes at him, admiring the playful spin he was trying to add to the situation.

I threw a duffel bag into the back of a four-wheeler. "Sand is my number one enemy."

He laughed, "I don't mind it, it's squishy."

"Your skull is squishy." I shrugged on a heat-resistant jacket and handed one to Thomas.

"Your dick is-" Thomas started with a comeback but Newt cut our quips off.

"Boys! Boys! You're both bloody hideous," He said from entrance of the garage. 

I feigned a gasp and threw my hand over my heart, as if he had deeply offended me, "But, you are my beloved! I thought I was gorgeous!"

He laughed and copied my posh accent, "Why! You are most delusional. I would never say such a thing."

Thomas hit my arm to get my attention, "Felix! Are you just going to let thine man insult you?"

I smiled, "Never! Thy fiance hasn't a clue of my beauty!" I turned from Newt with my arms crossed and my nose pointed upwards.

I heard Newt giggle from behind me, closer than he was before. He wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me to face him.

"I love you," He chuckled and kissed me briefly.

I grinned, "Am I truly such a hideous beast?"

He smiled back at me, "No, Felix. Never. You're the most gorgeous man I've ever met." And I swear, he said it so sincerely it was all I could do to stop blushing.

"Alright, alright, love birds." Thomas broke us apart. "We still have a mission to get to."

I nodded and squeezed Newt's hand as he let go of me.

"Jorge said to meet him outside once we loaded the four-wheelers," Newt instructed.

I straightened my jacket, "Well then, let's go."

Newt was right, Jorge, Brenda, and Cally were waiting outside for us, drawing up a map and assigning everyone a mobile radio.

"This is for us to communicate if we aren't in ear shot," Jorge informed as he strapped mine to the lapel of my jacket. "It's full of juice right now but use it as sparingly as possible, these bitches are old and suck up power quickly."

I nodded, "Gotcha."

"I'm driving a four-wheeler, Jorge will drive another, and Cally on the last," Brenda announced. "Take your pick. One of you on each."

I looked at Newt and Thomas, "Any preference?"

"I'll go with Brenda," Newt offered.

"Okay, Thomas?"

"Uh, do you mind if I ride with Cally? I wanted to ask her some questions." He fumbled with his hands but I was a bit relieved if I'm being honest. My relationship with Cally had been strained since finding her again, it was all very strange.

"No that's fine." He nodded and ran off to join Cal.

I smiled at Newt, "Talk to you soon."

He grinned back at me and kissed my cheek, "Love you."