1.9 Die

That night, Alby had broken up the bonfire activities after Thomas learned his name. We were all sent to bed and Newt and I tried sharing a hammock for the first time.

Usually, we just slept in the treehouse, but we were both so exhausted and drunk from the day neither of us had the energy to make the walk to the treehouse.

In hindsight, sleeping in a hammock together was a bad idea. The hammock was only designed for one person and we were both struggling to be comfortable together, I kept waking in the middle of the night.

The last time I woke up, I couldn't fall back asleep, I just watched the false sky and held Newt close to my chest.

But then I heard screaming.

"Ben! No, no stop! Let me help you!" It was Cally, screaming and crying desperately. Newt stirred and I continued to wake him up, I was alarmed.

"What's going on?" He slurred.

"I don't know..." I slide Newt off of me and rose out of the hammock. "Cally?" I called out, she was still in the Med-Bay. All I heard in return was shrieks.

"Help!" She cried. I didn't wait for another word to be said, I ran up the stairs, bursting through the door to see Cally trembling in the opposite corner and Ben with his back to me. He was holding a baseball bat, ready to swing at my best friend.

"No!" I hollered, launching myself at Ben. I grabbed his bat, pulling his arm back to attempt to stop him from hitting Cally.

Ben and I wrestled for control, but Ben never said a word. I guess he didn't need to, the crazed primal look in his eyes said it all for him.

Ben had been stung.

"Felix?!" Newt was at the bottom of the stairs, alert and awake now.

"Newt!" I called out for him. "Help me!"

Ben pulled out of my grip, he tackled me, sending us both to the floor. I put up my arms around my face, attempting to protect my head from his punches. Unfortunately he was still able to land some blows to my stomach. I doubled over, curling into a ball as best as I could.

I braced myself for more hits, but nothing else came. I looked up slowly, Newt and another, Alby, I think, were restraining Ben. Cally swiftly injected something into his thigh, and within moments, Ben had lost control and slouched into Alby's arms in a heap.

Breathing heavily, I stood, cradling my side, Ben had definitely broke a rib in me. Looking at the scene of events in front of me, Cally was sat sobbing over her lover, Alby was pacing the room, Newt was just staring at me in shock, as if ensuring I was still alive.

"Newt-" My voice broke, I was scared. I had never encountered a stung Glader before, heard of them though. The stories didn't describe the look in Ben's eyes well enough.

My boyfriend tackled me in a hug, and I fell into him. The comfort contact was the only thing that felt right in that moment. Everything else was broken... wrong.

***

I didn't sleep at all the rest of that night. I was in too much pain once the adrenaline wore off. Clint did his best to patch me up, but it felt weird staying in that room.

Ben had been strapped to the cot, restrained for our safety and his. He woke shortly after Cally hit him with the serum, he was screaming bloody murder almost constantly. It was impossible to ignore.

Cally never left his bedside.

The Gladers had questions. Especially Thomas, who was too new to understand being stung. Newt had taken him to the Lookout a while ago. Thomas needed to understand that we didn't have a lot of answers, but the Maze was dangerous.