1.12 Ruin

By morning, I was able to open my eyes.

My throat was still badly bruised but Cally said it would heal with time, as long as I didn't exert my voice.

According to Newt, when the girl woke up, she immediately knew her name. It was Teresa.

I didn't know how likely that was, but it didn't matter to me. I had bigger things to worry about today.

Danny's exile was today.

I hadn't returned to the treehouse since it happened. I didn't know if I could...

Danny might have ruined me.

I was doing my best not to think about it.

I was reading Cally's copy of Of Mice and Men. It was a much more depressing book than I thought it'd be. Nevertheless, I saw myself in Lenny. Minus the animal murdering of course... He and I were both infatuated with the ideas of a better future.

Unfortunately for both of us, those futures weren't coming.

There was a knock at the door and Newt entered.

"They're starting. Do you want to watch?" He asked.

I nodded, setting the book down and allowed Newt to help me out of the bed. He tucked an arm around my waist, helping to hold me up.

"He won't survive... right?" My voice was small and weak. I'd like to say it was because of my injuries, but it wasn't. I was terrified.

Ever since Minho, Alby, and Thomas survived the night, I was extremely worried that Danny would too.

That he would come back.

That he would hurt me again.

Or worse... hurt Newt.

Newt grunted, "No. And if he does, I'll murder him myself." If his words were supposed to be comforting... they weren't.

We reached the crowd forming at the doors. The Gladers formed a path for Newt and I to reach the front. I wished they didn't.

Alby dragged Danny to the door by his collar. He had been cuffed and and cuts on his face, like he put up a fight. Alby removed the cuffs and Keepers surrounded him with their spears.

"Any last words?" Alby spat.

Danny smirked, staring at me in such a way that sent a chill to my bones. "I'm glad I did it. Just wish I did it sooner."

I turned into Newt's chest and muffled a cry. I didn't understand how someone could hate another for something they couldn't change. I never hurt anyone... I barely even knew Danny.

The moments after Danny's last words were a blur. I was pretty sure Newt picked me up and carried me away. But I could also hear yells from Gladers, pushing Danny into the Maze. To his death.

Good. He fucking deserved it.

At some point, I started crying. Sobbing actually. Newt's shoulder was wet with snot and tears but I was in too much pain to care.

"I know." Newt whispered. "I'm sorry."

I was only able to respond with a scream, muffled by the fabric of Newt's shirt.

I could feel Newt's body flinch under me, this moment was just as sensitive for him.

"It's not fair," I cried, the sobbing only making my throat hurt more. "Not fair not fair not fair not-"

"Shh... I know, love. I know." At that moment I didn't feel real. The only way I knew I was still alive was the feeling of the angry thump of Newt's heart.