41|A Father and His Son

"Why would the Volturi kill us over an immortal child?" Seth asked softly

"Why would the Volturi kill us over an immortal child?" Seth asked softly. They were laying in their room in the Cullen house, where Aurélien had dragged Seth after the fallout from Alice's vision. Fear of the new threat had driven him to want to hide away with his precious mate. "Like, I understand the moral issue with making a child into a vampire, but when has morality ever been a concern for them?"

"There are very few rules in vampire society, but the most important one is to keep our existence a secret. Hence why it was such a big deal that Bella knew about us. Newborn vampires are a risk to this because they're so new to their hunger, but the one who turned them is suppose to help them learn control over time or else they'll remain feral and have to be dealt with," Aurélien explained softly. 'Dealt with' obviously meant hunt down and kill before they could expose them, something he himself had done during his stint as a Volturi member. Demetri would track them down and then Aurélien would catch them, his speed and teleportation meaning not one vampire that Aro had sent them after had ever gotten away. Killing them had been worryingly easy for Aurélien. One of the two held them down and the other tore their head from their body. Swift and efficient and necessary, similar to putting down a feral dog that had bitten someone. Aurélien skipped over that part though, not yet ready to admit to the bad things he had done in the past to Seth yet. "But immortal children can never learn."

"Why not?"

"Vampires are frozen at the age we turn. Adult vampires are able to evolve in a mental sense because they were old enough when turned to have the capacity for learning and growth. The same cannot be said for, say, a five year old. You cannot teach a five year old old about consequences, you can only hope that they learn as they age. But vampire children don't age, and so they never learn. You cannot teach them that if they gorge on a human in broad daylight because they are hungry then vampire society will be exposed and we'd be hunted down."

"I see."

"It's kind of like, if you put cake in front of an adult and told them that eating it all at once will make them very sick, they wouldn't eat it all at once. They don't want to be sick and they know from prior experience that making something nice last is best. A child on the other hand, would, because they like cake and they've been given one and consequences aren't something they can comprehend yet," Aurélien explained, trying to express how dangerous a vampire child would be to someone who'd never heard of them.

"Well, unless they were a stupid adult," Seth pointed out with a grin. Aurélien chuckled, and made a humming noise of agreement.

"Well yes, I suppose so. But holes in my metaphor aside. Immortal children are dangerous because they could never be taught to keep our secret."

"Then why do people create them if everyone knows they're dangerous?"

"Desperation for a child. Even when though we've lost the ability, those that longed for children as a human carry that longing over into immortality," Aurélien said sadly, casting his mind to Rosalie and Emmett. His sister had always wanted to be a mother and her grief over her inability to have one was strong. And while he wasn't as vocal about it as his wife, Emmett had always wanted a child too.