42|Château-Chalon

"I don't understand why we're suddenly going to France

"I don't understand why we're suddenly going to France."

Aurélien paused, turning away from the small suitcase he was speedily filling with clothes for the both of them and toiletries for Seth. His boyfriend sounded tired, and he understood why. Ever since Alice's vision things had been hectic as they planned out the best cause of action for handling the Volturi, so there'd been little time to explain much to poor Seth, who'd never once seen the Volturi in person nor knew much about them. After all, Aurélien never once talked about them as he hated it.

"We need to make them stop and listen to our defence rather than descending on us and obliterating everyone except Alice and possibly me. Gathering witnesses will do that. Well, we hope," Aurélien said, resuming his packing. "The Volturi have never once been met with resistance, so we don't have any examples to go off."

"I thought we weren't fighting?"

"We're not. But in the eyes of the Volturi, who have ruled undisputed over vampire society with an iron fist, a sign of support from other vampires about our innocence will be seen as resistance," Aurélien explained. He zipped up the suitcase once he'd filled it with all they'd need for the short trip, placing it near the bedroom door for when they were ready to leave.

"So we're going to find a friend of yours in France and convince them to help us?" Seth surmised, observing Aurélien as he filled a backpack with travel essentials — phone chargers, a wallet with a French debit card, passport and drivers license inside that identified him as Aurélien Bonnaire. He also put in a fake passport for Seth he'd had made about a year ago as a precaution under the name Seth Bonnaire (Seth had not been pleased when he found out that Aurélien had gotten one without his permission, even if he assured him it was simply to avoid worrying him, and it had been one of the few arguments they'd had during the relationship). Although they were teleporting and not going through customs, and therefore didn't really need passports, Aurélien was so on edge that he refused to take any risks.

"Kind of?"

"We're going to see someone whose very important to me. Someone I've not seen in a very long time," Aurélien said, his words very vague. He really didn't like to talk about the person they were visiting, hence him being so cryptic about them. The vampire had seen and done a lot of things in his many years of life and some of them were things he was not proud of and would rather not talk about.

"I really hate it when you do that," Seth whined, flopping back onto the bed in a childish manner that suggested that his use of the word hate was hyperbolic.

"Do what?" Aurélien asked, hands on his hips and eyebrows raised, despite knowing exactly what Seth was referring to.

"Dance around things about your past, about people from your past."

"I'm sorry that it upsets you, but I'm not sorry for doing it," Aurélien said firmly. "There are somethings that I do not enjoy talking about and so I won't do so unless I'm forced too. But I talk to you about a lot of things." It was true. They'd developed a habit where if Seth was struggling to fall asleep, often out of stress about college work, Aurélien would tell him about his past while carefully stroking his hair until he fell asleep. The stories were often wild and wonderful, and Seth enjoyed hearing them greatly. Every memory shared brought him closer to his boyfriend.