4|Threats and bets

The human population of Forks continued to celebrate an important milestone in there life within the Cullen house hold, completely oblivious to the tense discussion taking place in another room

The human population of Forks continued to celebrate an important milestone in there life within the Cullen house hold, completely oblivious to the tense discussion taking place in another room. A discussion about a world that existed within their own, a world that was now threatening the safety of everyone in the town.

"They'll be here in four days," Alice informed the group of both vampires and werewolves that were now united over a common cause: war. How ironic, Aurélien thought to himself, given the nature of the relationship between the two species.

"This could turn into a blood bath." Carlisle ceased his passing, leaning against the table that Bella and Edward sat on, concern radiating off him. Concern they all shared.

"Who's behind it?" Edward questioned, eyes shifting towards the person who usually held all the answers.

"I didn't see anyone I recognize. Maybe one—" Alice trailed off. Aurélien wished in that moment that he could read minds, but alas his gift was far different and far better suited to him as a person. After all, what better gift for a boy who could never sit still than one that allowed him to move from place to place in seconds.

"I know his face. He's local, Riley Biers." Aurélien did not recognise the name his brother spoke having spent the past few months living in seclusion in a cabin. Bella, however, seemed to know who Edward was taking about and, from the expression on her face, it was a cause for concern. "He didn't start this."

"I'm sorry, but who is Riley Biers?" Aurélien decided that interrupting the tense discussion was better than spending the rest of it not fully understanding what was going on. Of their was one thing he hated, it was being uniformed in a situation — clueless and struggling to keep up.

"He's one of the people who went missing in Seattle," Bella supplied helpfully, glad for a chance to add something to a conversation she felt rather superfluous to as the only human present.

"Whoever did is staying out of the action," Alice said, still tucked into Jasper's side. The southern vampire's main concern was his small mate, the first piece of light that appeared in his dark and bloody immortal life. Aurélien hoped that he would find something like that. After all, he was the second oldest Cullen in vampire years and he was still yet to find someone he loved more than Philipe, a boy who contained both pain and joy within the French vampire's memory. Aurélien still blamed himself for what happened.

"They must be playing with the blind spots in your vision," Carlisle surmised. Aurélien was always concerned that one day their reliance on Alice's visions would prove to be their undoing, and now it appeared it had. They were unprepared because they had assumed that she would know about the danger long before it was imminent, left floundering and woefully unprepared.

"Either way, the army is coming...and there aren't enough of us to protect the town." Jasper did not often speak during conversation, willing to let his mate take the lead. But just like Aurélien, the art of war was one he knew well. They both understood it like none of the others present, though their experiences were wildly different. Aurélien had fought on a side intent on achieving liberation, and Jasper for a side who, if you simplified the whole situation, aimed to withhold freedom.