12|We Know You

The advantage to getting an injury if your a vampire is that they are not lethal — limbs can be reattached and and broken bones knit themselves back together in a few hours

The advantage to getting an injury if your a vampire is that they are not lethal — limbs can be reattached and and broken bones knit themselves back together in a few hours. However, unlike humans, vampires couldn't pass out from pain or be placed under any pain medication. This meant that they had to feel every single agonising second of their injury, something Aurélien was not enjoying.

Carlisle and Emmett helped him to his feet, wincing when he hissed in pain. Aurélien was glad that he had no need to breath, otherwise that would hurt even more. At least in a standing position, completely still, he could try and ignore the throbbing of his shattered ribs.

"Aurélien, we need to—." Carlisle paused, glancing towards the end of the clearing. Four pals figures emerged from the tree line, dressed in black cloaks and gliding across the ground like ghosts. The Volturi.

Aurélien glanced towards his family, seeing their faces reflect the panic he felt inside. It was then that he noticed two things. One, the wolves had left (luckily). Hopefully to check on Seth, and to help Jacob — Aurélien had heard something about an injury through his haze of agony. The other thing he noticed was the presence of a newborn among his coven; a young girl of around fourteen, stuck to Rosalie's side like glue and as far away from the very human Bella, who'd arrived with Edward not long ago. How easily his family adopted strays.

The four coven members weaved through the piles of burning newborns, arriving in front of the family in and removing their hoods in synchronisation. Jane and Alec had the darkest cloaks out of the group as the most powerful there. Demetri's was a shade lighter — the same one as Aurélien once wore — and a dark grey colour. Felix was the lightest, his immense strength and combat skills extremely useful but not immensely valuable.

"Impressive, I've never seen a coven escape an assault of this magnitude intact," Jane said, in her airy, angelic voice.

"We were lucky," is all Carlisle said in response. The Volturi would not forgive cooperation with Shifters, not with how much Caius despised them. What would happen if they ever found out about Seth?

"I doubt that." Despite her words, Jane showed no emotion through her face and voice. It had always unnerved Aurélien how blank she was — sadistic joy was the only kind of emotion he'd ever seen her display.

"It appears we missed an entertaining fight," Alec said, something close to a smile appearing briefly on his lips. Aurélien scowled. He'd never liked Alec as much as his twin, he'd always been too much of a follower, too Jane centric. She, at least, had interests and hobbies of her own, but Alec seemed content with doing whatever his sister was. Aurélien shuddered to think what would happen if Jane ever got a mate — though he couldn't picture the immortal letting someone become so important to her life, not in the romantic sense and not with how much power over her it would give them.

"And an unfortunate injury. Whatever happened, dear Aurélien?" Demetri purred. The tracker had always known how to get under his skin in seconds. Their relationship was a complicated one. They had become lovers a month or so after Aurélien's addition to the Volturi and it had continued right up until he'd left. He'd wanted to end it on multiple occasions, at the time believing that having such a casual physical relationship was an insult to Philip's memory, but Demetri had always managed to draw him back in. Well, until he left for good.