VANILLA AND DETERGENT

"This is all a trap."

"You're being pessimistic."

"I was literally brought back to life and dragged to France so that I could weaken Issac, get him captured, and then lead the rest of you here," Maia stated, "I think it's fair to say that I'm being realistic."

Scott rolled his eyes and nervously bounced his leg. He turned up the volume to the tv to try and drown out his own negative thoughts.

Derek snatched Maia's wrist to stop her from pacing. He pulled her down to sit between them on the couch.

"We'll figure this out," he promised, "But you need to stay calm or else you'll lose control. And we can't afford that right now."

She nodded in agreement and began to take deep breaths. He watched her for a moment before leaning back against the cushions.

A few minutes later, Argent came through the front door. They quickly jumped up, following him as he marched into the kitchen.

"One of my assets said that a group of hunters passed through here a few weeks ago," he stated, "Left a few werewolves dead in their trail but none of them were Issac."

"But that doesn't mean they don't have him," Maia argued.

He nodded in agreement and began to pack up his bag of weapons. He turned his gaze towards Scott, "Can you find his scent?"

He tossed the boy a shirt he'd stolen from out of Issac's closet. Scott held the fabric up to his nose, sniffing the material.

He shook his head, "There's nothing."

Maia grimaced and scrunched her nose, "Are you kidding? That smells stronger than Stiles' body spray."

She tried to wave away the smell but Derek caught her hand.

"You can smell his scent?" he asked.

"If his scent smells like vanilla and laundry detergent, then yes."

"Great, you'll lead us," Argent stated, "Let's go."

Maia was stuttering for an excuse to pass the responsibility back to Scott, but she was dragged along. Derek led her down the stairs and back out to the car Argent had rented.

She got in the front seat and as soon as her door was shut, the man was speeding down the road.

"Hey man, I don't know if I get motion sick or not but I don't think you'd want to find out," she warned.

Argent ignored her, "Where does the scent lead?"

"How am I supposed to know?"

Derek scooted forward from the backseat. He switched spots with Lydia so that he could be closer.

"Focus."

"Wow, that's really helpful," she said sarcastically.

He rolled his eyes, "Maia, take in the scent and follow it. Think of it like a string attached to Issac. Follow the string and you'll find him."

She locked eyes with him. She saw the pure faith he had in her. For his sake, she tried to focus.

She took a deep breath before taking another whiff off Issac's shirt. She closed her eyes and tried to solely locate that one scent.

Argent glanced at her while maneuvering around other cars, "Anything?"

She nodded, snapping her eyes open, "Turning right!"

He sharply turned the wheel, almost hitting a row of newspaper stands along the way. Cars skidded behind them in order to avoid being hit.

Lydia held onto Scott's arm for safety.