I FELL IN A CAVE

"You hid a super dangerous weapon on a mountain in the middle of nowhere?"

Stiles turned his judgmental glare onto Maia. She casually readjusted the straps of her backpack and looked up at the looming landscape.

"Technically, I hid it in a cave."

"On a mountain!"

She rolled her eyes at his reaction and moved closer to the base of the rocks. She began to climb up, pushing herself over huge boulders and unstable edges.

"Are you sure this is safe?" Malia asked.

"If it was, it wouldn't be an ideal spot, now would it?"

She stopped at the top of the first ledge, which was roughly six feet up. She looked down at them, "Are you coming?"

They all glanced at each other warily. Stiles looked the most reluctant. He stayed in his spot until Derek and Lydia pulled him along.

They followed Maia as she climbed higher and higher. Argent and Scott were the closest behind her, keeping an eye out the whole time. Derek watched the back of the pack in case of an emergency.

About a third of the way up, they had to stop for Stiles. They could all hear his labored breathing and whimpers ever since the first ledge.

"Did you have to choose a mountain in the middle of the desert?" he panted, "Halfway across the world?"

Lydia rubbed his back and handed him his water. The others did the same, using the boy's excuse as a way to play off their own thirst.

"Why'd you choose this place anyway?" Argent asked, "Other than the fact that it's practically deserted within twenty miles of here."

Maia shrugged and looked out, "It's got a good view."

Stiles faked a laugh, still catching his breath as he did so, "We're climbing the world's most obscure mountain in the middle of some desert country because you liked the view?"

She nodded simply and turned back around to keep climbing. They groaned and pulled themselves to keep up.

"I sat besides a crying baby on the plane for this," he muttered. They didn't hear his complaint.

Rocks fell out of place as they climbed and trudged up. The path got even narrower and closer to the edge. Nearly an hour passed before they reached halfway.

She stopped and faced them all, seeing their worn out figures. She gestured to Lydia and Stiles, "You guys might want to stay here. The air is about to get really thin."

Stiles sighed in relief and immediately slumped against the nearest boulder.

She glanced at Argent, "Think you can handle it?"

He nodded.

Malia stepped forward, "I'll stay with Stiles and Lydia in case anything happens."

They agreed and swiftly left the three alone. Soon, their figures disappeared once the path turned on a curve.

Argent was now in the back, breathing heavily from the lack of normal oxygen. Scott helped him keep climbing by keeping a tight hold on him.

Fifteen minutes later, the werewolves were down. They had to stop and throw up unexpectedly after experiencing some stomach troubles.

"That would be the wolfsbane," she stated.

"Wolfsbane?" Scott rasped, wiping the puke from his lips.