VOLITION

"I didn't think it was possible for you to reach a new level of insanity."

Maia huffed, "Well, I like breaking expectation."

They marched through the woods in partial silence. Maia was blinded by her anger at Derek that she wasn't thinking clearly. Roan could obviously tell, making note of her emotional instability.

"How do you know that your mom and Colin are out here?" he asked, "They could be in a nice motel."

"They're not."

"Okay...even if they weren't, these woods cover almost a third of Southern California. Surely you won't just magically appear in the same spot."

She groaned and turned to face him. She stopped in her place and glared.

"Well, did you think of another brilliant plan?"

"Actually, I did."

"That was a rhetorical question."

He ignored her and smugly smirked.

"You need to call out to them. They'll hear you."

She furrowed her brows and frown, "Like shout their names?"

His face fell into annoyance. It was unbelievable how this girl managed to be the most feared alpha in a majority of the country.

He rolled his eyes in exaggeration and took a patient breath.

"No, you roar."

"Roar?"

"Yes."

"Like...roar roar?"

He rolled his eyes again. He pinched the bridge of his nose and grit his teeth. Instead of snapping out an answer, he simply nodded. She sighed and contemplated it.

She finally decided to give it a shot, but she gestured for him to step away first.

"Turn around and cover your ears."

"Seriously?"

She motioned for him to turn. He scoffed and did so, covering his ears loosely. His gaze focused on the tree in front of him.

Moments later, that tree began to rumble and stir. He felt the ground tremble from the roar Maia emitted. Even his hands couldn't prevent the ferocity from reaching his ears.

When he felt the wind stop, he turned back around. She inhaled deeply and a wild smile rested on her face.

"That was awesome."

He rolled his eyes again.

"How long should it take for them to find us?" she asked.

He shrugged.

So they impatiently waited in silence for a few minutes. Fortunately, it didn't take long. Her mother and Colin came to find them soon after.

They stood up to meet them warily. The pairs faced each other with only a few feet of distance between them.

"Hello Isla," he greeted, glancing at her mother with semi-respect. She nodded her head in greeting. A subtle exchange happened between them.

Maia's gaze was so fixated on Colin that she didn't notice. All she could see was how the man in front of her seemed almost lifeless.

His eyes were sunken in with dark circles around them. His skin was pale and sickly. But most importantly, he looked right through her. No recognition and no emotion at all.