TELL ME YOU'RE FINE

"Maia, can we talk?"

She paused as Derek ran out to stop her from getting into Theo's car. The boy got into the car and waited for the pair to finish up their conversation.

"How are you?" he asked awkwardly.

She scoffed, "You were never good at pleasantries."

He laughed lightly and blushed, "You're right. I just don't know what to do now."

Her face fell when he gestured between them.

"What are we?" he asked, "I mean, you died. You were moving on without me. You clearly don't need my support."

She cut him off quickly to avoid any further embarrassment for both of them.

"I need my friends," she stated, "And right now, that's what you are. I don't know how to fix what we had before but this is all I can figure out right now. Just give me some time please?"

He nodded sullenly and watched as she got in the car. She told Theo to drive away quickly, which he complied.

"You can't avoid him forever," he stated.

"Watch me," she retorted, "I'm an expert at it."

He rolled his eyes, "It won't get any better."

"None of this is better," she snapped, "It's all messed up and frustrating enough without bringing relationships into it."

He kept quiet and a moment passed between them. But her anger sparked again.

"And you're one to talk! You avoid your problems all the time! From dishes to crushes!"

His eyes widened and he blushed.

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"Oh really?" she scoffed, "Because I'm not blind and I see the way you look at a particular someone."

He surrendered quickly to get her to shut up. She smirked in victory and they stayed quiet the rest of the ride to the high school.

Once they parked, Theo headed inside to find the puppy pack in the library while Maia went to meet Stiles on the lacrosse field.

He stood by the benches, putting on protective equipment. As she neared, she laughed at his appearance.

"What the hell are you wearing?"

He looked up at her before glancing down at his attire. He had on his lacrosse shoulder pads and chest guard, which was covered by pillows wrapped around his limbs with duct tape.

"It's for protection!" he defended.

He grabbed his helmet and put it on. He led her out to the center of the field and they faced each other.

"You look ridiculous," she stated.

"I look alive. And I intend to stay that way so please don't bite my throat out."

She threw her jacket to the side and got into a offensive position, holding her fists up. Stiles raised the pillows on his arms and allowed her to hit them.