UNDER SIEGE

"This doesn't feel right."

Maia and Derek dropped their bags as they entered the Hale house. After a long time of traveling, the pack had finally returned to Beacon Hills. They'd all been anxious to go to their own homes, so they split up to rest and see their families.

But when they came back, Maia had the worst feeling of dread; like something terrible was about to happen. She tried to call Theo and Issac but there was no response.

So Derek drove them to the house where they expected the boys to be. But when they opened the door, it was eerily silent.

"Maybe they're just upstairs," Derek guessed.

She scoffed, "Has the house ever been quiet when Theo and Issac are together?"

"Fair enough."

He shut the door behind them as she started to poke her head in every room on the first level. There were uneaten plates of food in the kitchen. The fireplace was cold and lifeless.

Her worry increased so she sped up the stairs. She made it to the top and was about to round the corner of the hallway but a hand swung out at her.

She barely dodged as the claws swiped at the place where her head used to be. She stumbled back in confusion and shock, trying to defend herself and figure out who her attacker was. Fortunately, that part was easy.

"Liam!'

She grabbed his wrists and held on tight, stopping his continuous efforts to attack. His movements were sloppy and unorganized which made it difficult for her to get him to focus.

But when he recognized her voice and saw her face, he stopped. He practically melted in relief, literally collapsing to the floor in exhaustion.

Maia caught him and gently lowered him down, cradling his upper half which seemed to be shaking and weak. She looked down and saw a pool of blood staining his shirt by his shoulder and stomach.

"Derek!" she shouted hurriedly.

The man came rushing up the stairs at her call for distress. He saw Liam in her arms and went to his side, applying pressure to his top wound.

"Why aren't you healing?" he asked.

Liam coughed raucously, spitting up blood to the side. Maia made sure he stayed conscious and that his gaze stayed on her.

She pulled up the bottom hem of his shirt to reveal the lower wound. Around the blood were small black veins crawling around it, pulsing just beneath the skin.

"The poison is slowing his healing," she stated, "It'll take longer."

The older pair glanced at each other before carefully lifting up the boy. They carried him to the nearest room and set him down on the bed. Derek went to work on bandaging his wounds while Maia provided comfort.

She also asked questions, "What happened?"

Liam's eyes threatened to roll back but she tapped his cheeks and he snapped back.

"Hunters attacked us. Theo and I were leaving the house when they came," he explained. His eyes drifted over to hers and he squeezed her hand urgently, "You need to find them. They took them away."

"Took who?"

"Theo, Issac, and Roan."

Derek's eyes flashed with worry at the mention of his favorite betas.

"What about Mason and Corey? The sheriff? Melissa?" she listed.

Liam shook his head, saying that he didn't know where they were but only that they were safe. He'd gotten the word out to his friends that the town was under siege by their enemies and warned them to find a safe place.