RALLYING THE TROOPS

"Are you sure you're okay? You should rest."

Theo scoffed and adjusted his jacket, "You're my alpha. That means wherever you go, I follow. Besides, I helped recruit most of these people. A familiar face wouldn't hurt."

"Compared to a face they've never seen and was previously dead?"

They glanced at each other in mild amusement.

Her tone turned more serious, "I don't know how I'm supposed to get them all on my side. They've never met me so why should they trust me with their lives?"

"Because I did."

She turned to him and furrowed her brows.

"I'd never met you before and yet I still trusted you to be my alpha," he explained, "And once I got to know you, it was clear that I should follow you. Everything that makes you likable will get their attention."

Her face softened in gratitude. She tried to lighten the mood again by playfully ruffling his hair. He groaned and pulled away, smacking her hands away.

"By the way, were you the one who threw away my hair gel?"

Her eyes widened and she neglected to answer. Thankfully, Derek came in and joined their conversation. He glanced at Theo's healing face and asked if he was okay once more.

"How did they get to you anyway?"

Theo sharply inhaled and a blushed crawled up his cheeks.

"Well...Liam came by the house and we were about to go out-"

"Wait," Maia interrupted. She held up a hand to stop him, "As in go out go out?"

He avoided her eyes, giving her the answer.

"You were going to go on your first date while I was out of town?" she asked, her voice growing louder and more angered.

"Yeah?"

"How dare you! Issac and I had solid plans to stalk your date!"

She smacked his arm lightly. He rolled his eyes at her. The encounter made a smile slip onto Derek's lips.

Issac came in, bringing the mood back down with a simple statement.

"They're here."

Maia's smile quickly fell. Her nerves were growing and the other men could hear her heart beat faster. She glanced at them for reassurance.

Theo and Issac gave her small smiles before walking away, leaving the two alone. They figured that Derek would be better at calming her.

The man faced her completely and held her hands to keep her from fiddling with her fingers.

"I have no clue what to say," she admitted, "What if what I say isn't good enough and they won't help us-"

"They will," he reassured, "You're their alpha. Dead or alive, it's you."

She still looked doubtful as her eyes bared through the wooden door separating them from the room full of awaiting werewolves.

"Just say what you needed to hear. Give them the confidence and strength you wish your family had given to you; the strength that Colin gave."

She looked up and met his eyes.

"Tell them what you're fighting for. Give them a reason to stay."

They lingered in contemplative silence. Forgetting her worries for a moment, her gaze slipped to glance at his lips. His eyes did the same.

"And you?" she spoke lowly, "What's your reason for staying?"

He tilted his head and chuckled, "I think you already know."

She dropped her head to hide her smile. But when she lifted back up, she stood on her toes and pressed a small kiss to his cheek. She felt the scruff of his beard scratch her face.

She composed herself completely as she walked towards the door. She rolled out her shoulders and took a deep breath in and out.

She finally opened the doors.

Instantly, at least twenty heads turned towards her. Surely there were more, but she couldn't bring herself to take them all in at once. Each of their stares was nerve wrecking.

They waited for her to do something. So she walked to the front of the room where Issac and Theo stood. Derek took his place beside them while Maia was a step closer to the werewolves.

"Thank you for coming," she began, speaking clearly, "I realize that many of you joined this pack without knowing who I am. You probably don't trust me, which is understandable. You might have heard rumors and today, I am here to clear those up."

She glanced back at her boys for confidence. She needed to stay strong not only for herself but for them as well; to encourage them.

"My name is Maia Arceneaux. This pack used to be my family's legacy and now it is ours. It was a name of danger and fear. And I have previously contributed to that fear. I've killed and done horrible things for my own gain.

"But know that this new generation of werewolves is not that same pack. I asked Derek Hale to create a pack where werewolves were accepted and treated respectfully. It's what I've wanted my entire life...a real family.

"And yes, I died for that family. But I came back and I don't intend on letting my past hurt my future."

She locked eyes with the front row, scanning over them with a critical gaze. Their own body language showed intrigue, but they weren't completely convinced.

"I've asked you here because I need your help. To be completely honest, this town is in trouble and it's my fault. We're in the middle of war with very dangerous people and I won't ask you to risk your life if you're not willing.

"But with or without you, I will fight. For me, for my friends...and for my pack. I will fight a hundred men before falling. Because I have a whole lot of reasons for wanting to stay alive."

She gestured to the men behind her, "And some of them are right here."

The other werewolves glanced at the men.

"My reason is love and family. I've learned that blood is not the only family we'll have in our life. A pack is a family too...and you can be damn sure that I'd sacrifice my life for any one of you."

The werewolves started to sit in the edge of their seats, shifting anxiously and glancing between each other worriedly.

"I need your support," she stated, "I need my pack."

She felt the courage of the pack grow.

"I'm asking not as your alpha, but as your equal...help me save us all."

She exhaled deeply, finishing off her speech. The others were eerily silent while stewing in contemplation. She began to tap her foot nervously, growing more and more insecure as every second passed.

She looked back at Derek worriedly. But when she turned back around, she saw that someone had stood up.

The woman stood in the center of the audience, rising above all of their views.

"I'll fight," she stated strongly.

Maia's worry eased a little. She nodded in gratitude towards the woman.

The act of courage prompted others to stand. Slowly, pairs or groups of people would stand and repeat the statement, confirming their commitment.

Soon, all of them were standing and cheering on Maia. She smiled widely as Derek joined her side. He winked as if to say 'I told you so.'

Theo and Issac stepped up by her other side. They looked at all the rowdy werewolves and felt the courage grow in them too.

But for the sake of Issac being Issac, he threw in a witty comment about the large pack,

"We might need a bigger house."

-----