COWARDLY KILLS

"This is my fault."

Scott placed a hand on Stiles' shoulder, "No, it's not."

"She only went out there in such a rush because I blamed her."

"She went out there because Lydia was in danger," Scott argued, "Maia would've done the same for anyone."

Stiles sighed and ran a hand down his face. He hunched over the table and allowed Scott to pat his back in comfort.

"She died and it screwed me up," he whispered. He hadn't admitted that particular truth to himself or anyone else, "And then when she came back...it just wasn't the same. I didn't know how to feel normal."

Scott lightly laughed, "Stiles, we're never normal."

The other boy scoffed in agreement. He straightened back up to face his best friend fully.

"I think everyone keeps forgetting that Maia was dead for two years. She's clearly not gonna be the same. But one thing has stayed constant with her."

"Her unending craving for pizza?" Stiles guessed. They both laughed and the mood lightened with the simply joke.

"I was going to say her persistence, but yeah that's true too."

Their laughter died down to a solemn silence. Scott sighed and placed a hand on Stiles' shoulder.

"It's still Maia," he reminded, "She's just as strong as she was."

"Which means she'll be okay," the other boy finished.

Scott nodded in affirmation. He pulled his best friend into a tight hug for reassurance. They clung to each other until Liam barged in.

He waited for the two to separate before speaking, "We found Maia."

They perked up instantly, glancing at each other before turning back to the beta.

"Where?"

Liam sighed tiredly,

"The lacrosse field."

--

Roan woke Maia up the second they hit the field. He was tired of dragging her across the forest ground and he kicked her awake.

She groaned from the pain and groggily woke. She pushed herself onto her elbows and looked through her blurry vision, recognizing the place immediately.

"You poetic bastard," she muttered, "Are you gonna kill me where I died?"

Roan smirked and crinkled his nose, "No, but that's a great idea. Thanks for the suggestion."

She rolled her eyes and tried to get up but he pressed the heel of his shoe down on her back. She grunted as her face was smashed back into the dirt.

"You're always so quick to the kill," he sighed, "I prefer to take my time. Which is why you'll stay alive until you see your friends again."

He glanced at the watch on his wrist, "They should be here soon."

She shoved his foot away with disgust. He let her get up this time and watched as she could only pull herself to a sitting position.

"All of this...just to kill me?"

He laughed riotously.

"Oh, you flatter yourself too much Maia. I don't want you. I want what you have."

"The compass," she breathed.

He nodded. He began to pace in front of her as she wiped at the blood on her face.