4||S E R K A N

"Edaaaa" I drawled over the phone.

"Serkan?" came the sleepy voice of Eda through the other end.

"Why are you doing this to me?"

"Why am I doing what Serkan? What is going on? Are you drunk?"

"A little." I giggled through the microphone.

"Okay maybe a little more than little. Do you know I have a fever Eda? Wait don't answer that, you knew, didn't you? You knew that I was sick and yet you didn't ask me how I was. Instead you sent Engin bey to look after me but you know what Eda? Engin bey gitte. Serkan's all alone now."

"Serkan why are you calling me?" she sounded tired.

"I didn't want to be alone." I whispered.

"You made that choice all on your own Serkan," Eda mused.

"Okay but I don't like it anymore."

"Serkan you're not going to remember this conversation in the morning and everything is just going to go back to the way it was."

"Does Deniz know you're talking to me?"

"Deniz isn't with me right now Serkan, he's at his house."

"Good."

"What's good Serkan?"

"You."

"You don't give me that impression."

"I can prove it to you."

"How?"

"Don't get married tomorrow."

There was a long pause on the other end of the phone. "Does Selin know about this Serkan?"

"No."

"Good night Serkan,"

"Eda wait-"

"Wow. She just hung up on me. I told her how I felt... but now that I think about it, I didn't tell her anything... I just made things worse didn't I! And now I'm talking to myself." I pulled out my phone and dialled Selin.

"Serkan? Did you change your mind about the early wedding?"

"Selin, I've asked Eda not to get married tomorrow. She got mad when I told her that I didn't tell you. So now I'm calling to tell you," I finished in one breath as I couldn't wait to hang up and call Eda again.

"Why did you ask her that Serkan?"

"Because I don't want to see her with Deniz anymore."

"Why Serkan?"

"Because I want her to look only at me, smile only at me, touch only me and be only mine."

"Serkan! What the hell? Are you out of your mind?"

"Selin I don't love you. I can't marry you Selin... Please don't make things difficult. You can keep the ring."

"Serkan! Are you serious right now? What did that bitch Eda tell you? I told you that she manipulated you the last time and now she's doing the same thing again!"

"Shut up Selin! The only one manipulating people is you. If not for you... I would have at least tried to get to know Eda but you made me think that she's a horrible person. She's an angel Selin! But you wouldn't understand that. I wanted to end things on good terms but I lost it when you started insulting Eda. Please don't come in front of me ever again!"

"Good terms? Good terms Serkan? You're breaking up with me in the middle of the night over a phone call!"

"Yes but I let you keep the ring." I couldn't stand another minute of Selin's tantrum and immediately disconnected the call. God knows why I put up with the woman for a month. No wonder I broke up with her in the past.

I redialled Eda once again.

"Serkan I told you alrea-"

"I told Selin everything."

"Ev- Everything? You remember?" Her voice sounded so hopeful and I wanted to tell her- Yes! I remember all the beautiful memories that we shared together, I remember the times I hugged you to sleep, I remember all our silly fights and the times I held your hand and kissed you like my life depended on it.

"No Eda...I don't remember," I said. I heard her sigh on the other end.

"But I told her that I'm breaking up with her."

"Serkan you did what? What are you trying to say Serkan..."

"I called you to remind you again, don't get married tomorrow."

"Serkan you're drunk. You're not going to remember all this in the morning and I'm not going to change my mind based on one drunken phone call."

"And what if I do remember? Will you change your mind then?"

"I'll...I'll consider it."

"Well then good night Eda Yildiz, I'll look forward to it."

"Good night Serkan Bolat," there was a pause for a second but I could tell that she was debating on whether or not to tell me something else.

"Please don't disappoint me again."

"Never."

-*-*-*-

"Serkan wake up!"

"Piril? Is that you?"

"Yes of course it's me! Engin! It looks like he's hung over."

"Engin's here too? What time is it?" I squinted my eyes at the wall behind me but everything was so groggy.

"Serkan it's 11 AM! 11! Do you know what that means Serkan?" Engin asked, looking at me like I was a toddler. I had no idea what he was going on about so I just looked back and forth between them quizzically.

"Serkan! Today's the 20th of March, 2021. And right now it's 11 AM. Are we making sense to you?" Piril asked and slowly things were starting to fall in place. Eda. The phone call. My promise.

"Crap." I muttered as I frantically searched for my phone.

"Serkan! She left for the venue at ten. She was supposed to leave at nine Serkan... But she kept staring at her phone for an hour. And then she left." I couldn't believe me ears. This couldn't be happening... no. When I got a hold of my phone I scrolled through my messages.

EDA:

Thank you for last night, you showed me the Serkan that I miss every single day. I am not mad at you for forgetting, I'm only mad at myself for expecting you to remember. I am going ahead with the wedding, I will understand if you can't make it after reading such a cryptic message. Don't worry, nothing happened between us Serkan, nothing worth remembering anyway.

10:02

Nothing worth remembering? What was she? Crazy?

"Fuck! When's the wedding?" I swore out loud, annoyed at myself for letting this get to this stage. I kept calling Eda but she just wouldn't pick up.

"It was scheduled to happen at twelve Serkan... If we leave right now we might be able to make it." I didn't waste my time in responding. I quickly brushed my teeth and changed into a suit. There's no way this wedding's happening. It can't. I won't let her leave this way.

"How did you both know to come here?" I asked once we got into my car, grateful that my two best friends were beside me at such a stressful moment. I couldn't have handled it alone.

"Selin called Piril this morning and told her that you broke up with her over the phone. That and the fact that we saw Eda trying to delay the wedding as much as possible made us think that something happened last night between the two of you..."

Yes, something happened last night, it was like someone turned on the lights in my heart that I didn't even know were there. I stepped up on the accelerator, there's no way I'm letting her go, not now... not ever.