12||S E R K A N

"Let's get married Serkan, today, right now." 

I felt my throat go dry and didn't know how to respond. It was all I ever wanted her to say and I was so happy that she had finally said it. Eda Yildiz wanted to marry me, I thought to myself and the mere notion of that was so powerful that it made me feel like I ruled the world.

"But E- Eda you're sick..." I stuttered out. I couldn't believe what I was saying, if this were any other day, I would have carried her to the marriage office myself but for some reason, it didn't feel right.

"It's just a fever Serkan, I'll be fine!" She said, with a sudden spark of excitement in her eyes.

"No Eda," I said as I gulped nervously. It was as if my mouth was moving on it's own. She looked at me sadly, her tired eyes getting the better of her again.

"Not this way," I pleaded as I held her hands.

"I want to get married to you right away Eda but I want to do it properly- I want to give you the wedding of your dreams, and I want you to be in your right state of mind," I said as I tucked in a loose strand of hair. For some reason, this made her smile, and she looked at me with her big brown eyes like I was her whole world and this made me so happy that I could barely contain it within me.

"Evet Serkan, I wanted a fancy wedding but that's before I realised how transient life can be. I don't want a big ceremony anymore, I don't want people and I don't want large cakes. I only want you," she finished as she stroked the side of my cheek, making me shiver with awe.

"And I might be sick Serkan, but that's an even better reason to get married today. You're here for me at my absolute worst, and I want to remember that Serkan, for the rest of my life I don't want to forget that my husband was there for me when I was at the lowest point in my life."  I felt a chill run down my spine when she called me her husband, it was even more beautiful than I'd imagined it to be.

"Eda..." I started off, the tears welling in my eyes. She was so perfect, so wonderful. How could I deny such a beautiful woman anything? Especially when she was willing to give me everything I've ever wanted.

"Wait here for a second," I said as I got up from the bed.

"Serkan where-"

"You'll see!" I smiled as I turned around and sprinted out of the room, failing to read her face as I did so.

-*-*-*-*-

"Serkan," she sighed as she stood in front of me, holding what appeared to be a long black dry-cleaning bag. She probably bought me another suit, in spite of me asking her not to, I thought.

"Yes annem, what now?" I asked her, tired of all her antics.

"Are you serious about Selin? She's such a bitch." My mom said in a single breath, not wasting any time beating around the bush.

"Annem! Language!," I said as I glared back at her.

"What? I said what I said. And just because I don't call her a bitch it doesn't mean that she ceases to become one," my mom finished, making me facepalm myself in desperation.

"Why are you here annem?," I asked when I knew that I couldn't change what she was thinking when she'd made up her mind already.

"This is why I'm here," she said as she threw the large bag on the sofa.

"Did you buy me a suit again?" I asked, I didn't want to be one of those men whose mom still bought their clothes for them.

"No Serkan, you're not worth my time," she replied nonchalantly as she waved her hand, making me sigh. My mother had an air for the dramatics alright.