17|| E D A

PRESENT DAY (7 years later)

I stepped into the latest apartment I'd moved into and made my way towards the switchboard, turning on the lights of the empty living room. Taking a look around, I heaved a sigh. It was empty. Blank. Void, in more than one sense of the term. My 'home' was probably never going to be whole again, no matter how many couches I bought or how many times I shifted again. I had to move around a lot so I kept it to a bare minimum, clothes, a laptop bag and an air mattress.

Babanne.

No, Semiha Yildrim.

I cursed her mentally for the predicament I was in. She took everything from me, more than once. And she did it in such a way that I strangled myself with my own hands so that there was no blood on hers. There was a time when I'd cry when I thought about what she had made me do. Now I'm just numb.

I moved to the centre of the room as my fingers twirled around the ring that hung from a chain around my neck, endless thoughts swimming across my head. One of them clearer than all the rest of them, not anymore. I took a moment to steady myself with my resolve before pulling my phone out, searching for a phone number on the internet, hoping to god that things were the same when it came to the operational management of the office in Mardin.

"Yes?," came Efe Akman's voice from the other end. It has been years since I'd last spoken to him and his voice was still the same, but I had no time to dwell on insignificant details, not after everything they'd done to me.

"I need to speak with Semiha Yildrim," I assert without offering any explanations, not that I owed him any. The line went silent for a minute but I didn't want to repeat myself, I was sure he heard me the first time and I really wasn't in the mood.

"Who is this?" came back the response after the long pause. I rolled my eyes, as if he didn't know, after all they did.

"Semiha Yildrim," I said again, losing my patience. I had no time for games. Definitely not theirs.

"There must have been some mistake," his voice faltered on the other end. Did he really not know who I was?

"You are Efe Akman correct? There's been no mistake I assure you," I said as a cold laugh escaped my throat.

"I am Efe Akman, you are right there but..."

"But what,"

"Semiha Yildrim isn't here anymore," he said, and this time it was me who paused for a second to collect my thoughts.

"Did she finally leave for good and put you in charge?," I said as I laughed again, not able to stop the bitterness in my heart from oozing out into my voice.

"Look here lady, I have no idea who you are or what you want from me but it stops now. Semiha Yildrim is dead! She's been dead for three years! I don't have time for your sick jokes. Don't call again or I'll call the police!" I felt the blood drain from my face as the line went cold. Dead. The bitch had been dead for two years. Does that mean I've been hiding from a ghost? The tears that had failed me earlier had started lining down my cheeks. They had finally broken free. 

Even in death, the lady had taken away two years of my life and the cruelty behind that was something I simply couldn't digest. I looked around the empty apartment, suddenly wishing there were items in it that I could break. I felt the nails of my left hand dig into the skin of my palm as I threw my phone towards the wall in a fit of rage. I sat down on the floor helplessly as my hands pulled at my hair. For a few minutes I just sat there with a sense of self loathing and hatred, she should have just killed me instead of making me die every single day.