Chapter 3: Sisters

Sofia

"Wow, look at all these cookies. You did amazing decorating them". Kissing Finn on top of his head, I looked over his shoulders at the cookies covered messily with icing.

Suddenly the door burst open and Amelia stormed in with thunder on her face.

"Stupid child" Amelia mumbled under her breath whilst she threw her hood over her head and grabbed a few things out of the fridge.

"Oi" I yelled out to her as she went to grab my leftovers, but she glared at me and grabbed it without care.

"Get your hands off my food" I warned her, threatening her with my eyes and pointer finger.

Amelia rolled her eyes and put it back before grabbing a water bottle and a couple of snacks from out the cupboard.

"Hey Millie, I"-

"GO AWAY FINN" she shouted and stormed out of the kitchen.

Dropping the cookie I had in my hands, I watched bewildered as the door slammed with Finn's eyes still fixed on the door Amelia walked out of.

His eyes watered with tears and his bottom lip started to tremble before he started to cry in his hands. Feeling my heart break at the sight of the sweetest little boy crying at his sister's unexpected outburst, I ran over to him and pulled him into my arms.

Even though I knew she loved Finn, she didn't mean it. Since being diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at age 9, Amelia had become more distant. She was coping well at first, but now that she was in secondary school, she felt down all the time. I had tried talking to her, but she'd just shrug her shoulders and hide away in her room.

Finn just didn't understand. He only knew that Amelia had to take extra care in looking after herself, but he had no idea that she was pushing us all away because of the diabetes. 

Even without talking to her, I knew why she was doing it. 

"Baby look at me" I gently cooed at Finn.

I shouldn't have told him to look at me as I was now close to tears at the sight of him. He ran his red sleeve across his eyes and nose as his bottom lip trembled.

"You know she's not mad at you. She's going through some hard things, but that doesn't make it right". 

Gently grabbing Finn's hands, I pulled them away from his face and watched as he tried to regain his unsteady breathing. 

"Sh-she is. I drew flowers and hearts on her hoodie thinking she'd like it. It was wrong and I'm bad" he sniffled before crying into my shoulder.

All this little damn munchkin wants to do is to try and make everyone happy. I swear the world does not deserve him. 

But to be honest, I'd be pissed if someone drew on my hoodie. But he's only a child. Not like Amelia was a saint when she was his age. She was a little devil compared to the angel crying in front of me.

"Listen to me, you are not bad. Okay, drawing on her hoodie was a bad thing and it's okay as long as you know never to do it again. I know you're sorry and I know you were only trying to do something good, but drawing on people's clothes is not very kind. I know you didn't realise it would make her upset, but next time always draw on paper. Alright? So I'm going to go and speak to her and explain it was a mistake".

Finn rubbed his sore eyes and nodded before walking away slowly.

I watched helplessly as he sat down on his little chair before looking down at the cookie in his hand. He sighed heavily as he put the biscuit down on the table and rested his chin in his hands.