Chapter 14: Moving out

Sofia

"I look stupid" I mumbled to myself as I sat in the huge seat in the car. The clothes Giovanni had given me were ridiculously big on me. Embarrassingly big on me.

"You're wrong, you look cute" he tried to convince me, but he failed.

I had hoped to distract myself from the news that was broken to me by my grandma, but it consumed my every thought. 

Looking out the window, I tried my best not to cry as Giovanni drove along the motorway. I could sense him staring at me, but he stayed silent.

As we drove along, I watched as beautiful fields went past reminding me of all the countless picnics and family outings we had together.

But my business had taken over my life. I had been turning their family outings down because I was busy. But if I knew our time would have been limited, I would have never denied such simple moments with them.

Just as I fought to keep the tears at bay, Giovanni rested his hand on the back of my head and stroked my hair a couple of times urging me to look at him.

"Look at me darling" Giovanni begged as he kept his hand on my hair, but I simply couldn't look at him.

"Sofia" he growled out but relaxed his face as he saw me jump in fright at the sudden change in tone.

"Sorry, I just don't want you to shut me out. You may think you're alone, but I am here now and I won't let you feel that way".

Giovanni cupped the back of my neck and gave me a small sad smile.

"I know" I replied hoping for him to focus on the road.

But truthfully, my thoughts were staring to become dangerous. 

The only thing I could think about was tracking down the person who murdered my parents. And I wouldn't stop until I had found them.

"What's on your mind treasure?" he asked out in his deep and dominant voice.

"My Grandma told me something, something about my parents".

Giovanni moved his hand down from my neck and rested it on my thigh; his fingers started to draw circles on my skin.

He clenched his hand tightly on my thigh sensing my discomfort. He gave me a quick concerned glance from the side before setting his eyes back on the road.

"Do you want to tell me? I understand if you don't"-

"The police believe someone intentionally ran my parents off the road. But why? Why would someone want to kill them. They've never done anything wrong".

Feeling tears on the verge of falling, I looked away from Giovanni embarrassed about crying in front of him again, but he gently grabbed my chin and turned it so I couldn't look away from him. 

"Sofia, treasure I am truly sorry. As if it's not heartbreaking enough. I may have never met them or worked with them, but they were huge in the business world. They sounded like amazing people that would do anything for their children, anything for you. So, here's what I'm suggesting. I have numerous businesses and I have a lot of contacts in different sectors. So what I'm trying to say is that if you want, I can try and find out who did this to your mum and dad. The police are slow and can take quite some time, but I want you to have peace of mind".

I looked at Giovanni, completely blown away by his words. No-one I had ever met in such a short period of time had cared enough to use their power and strength to help me in my most desperate time.

"You'd do that, for me?" I asked with confusion wondering if I had heard him correctly.

Giovanni pulled over and it was only then that I realised we had arrived outside my home. My old home that would never feel like home again.