Chapter 42: Mum

Eleanor

Kissing my handsome strong husband after holding him in my arms whilst he cried, I pulled the covers over him relieved and reassured that he was now fast asleep.

Losing his mum was affecting him so bad that he drowned himself with work during the nights. But during the day he'd be the children's shadows. Wherever they were, he was there. Perhaps it was the fear that death came for everyone. No-one knows which day could be your last.

But for Oscar it was more than that. His mum was his world. She was the only one to show him love and affection as a child. She gave him strength when he felt weak, she made him laugh when the world was mean and she tried to protect him from the monster his father was.

But he never got to say goodbye.

Walking over to the door, I looked back at him to see him snoring away with his mouth open almost like an innocent child.

At least he's finally sleeping.

Feeling reassured at the light sound of his snoring, I quickly and quietly left the bedroom eager to ensure all was well.

Walking through the dark hallways, I smiled appreciatively to the guards standing watch in the shadows before stopping before the double oak doors.

Knowing I wouldn't get a response, I pushed the doors open and sighed heavily as my eyes fell upon Sofia sitting in front of Elias with her gun trembling in her hand.

"Honey" I breathed out before kneeling before her.

Her eyes were red from exhaustion and excessive crying. The doctors had told me that she hadn't slept until Elias was moved here. She kept mumbling about keeping watch so no-one could harm him.

Looking down at the gun that trembled in her hand, I placed my hand on top of hers that held the gun.

"It's alright sweetheart, no-one will come close to hurting him" I whispered to her as I slowly took the gun from out of her shaking grip.

She didn't even seem to notice me taking it away from her. She just stared past me with tired eyes.

"Sofia, sweetie you need sleep" I tried to persuade her, but at my words she began to cry.

"I can't mum. They'll take him, they'll hurt him if I sleep. I can't lose him. Not now after everything that's happened. I have to stay awake, he'd do the same for me. He's done so much for me and I haven't even said thank you" she cried out before sobbing into her hands.

My heart ached at the sight of Sofia.

The fatigue and exhaustion must have hit her in one go as she fell forwards into my arms.

"You listen to me Sofia, no-one and I mean no-one is ever going to take Elias away from you. Your and father and I have increased the numbers of guards protecting Elias. He survived the near impossible so there's no chance we're losing him again. But you need to sleep. You need to be strong for him when he wakes up. He's going to need the love of his life by his side at her full strength to help him through it. So here's what you're going to do. You're going to lay in the bed beside Elias and you're going to have a long deep sleep whilst I sit in the chair you're currently on with the gun in my hand keeping you both safe whilst you rest. Is that clear?" I ordered with a gentle voice.

Sofia looked up from my chest with watering eyes looking like a puppy with that soft look.

"I saved you when you were a little girl and since then I have always vowed to protect you no matter what. So that's what I'll do and continue to do, as your mum" I smiled at her knowing that her and Oscar finally had the talk about who I really was to Sofia.