24. Battle for Jahanpur

It was later than morning, Shah-Nawazemerged from his haveli towards the central haveli, dressed regally in indigo bluesherwani kurtha, he garnered special attention in his fusion ensemble featuringan asymmetric hemline and an overlap style button placket. Accentuated with asilver chain brooch on the left side, Shahgul welcomed him into the dinningbettak satisfied with his stunning attire.
The table was laden with paranthas, semolina halwa, fresh orange juice, boiled eggs. Fiza buzzed around the table to ensure her grandad's end was bursting with fresh multi coloured healthy fruits plucked freshly from their orchards to lower his cholesterol. She plucked him pomegranate, grapes and poured cinnamon and green cardamon infused masala chai into his cup. The table was long and rectangle, where one end Dilwar-Baksh sat and the other end Shah-Nawaz. Obediently, Shah-Nawaz kissed his father's hands and greeted him. Allah Ditta stood behind Dilawar-Baksh glaring at Shah-Nawaz with scorn. Shah-Nawaz could try all he want, but Dilawar-Baksh had made up his mind.
Maids dotted around the dinning room waiting on orders from Shahgul or Fiza.
"Where is the lassi?" Shahgul complained. "Every morning it's the same. Something is always missing."
Ulfat shoved the lazy maids back to the kitchen to fetch the jug of fresh blended lassi for Shah-Nawaz. Fiza sat beside her grandfather peeling the shell from the boiled egg. He stroked her back with fondness.
"My special daughter."
Once the conversation of the food was addressed, Shahgul swiftly moved onto pressing matters.
"Your son is here to apologise for the spectacle that happened at Panchayat. He is young and gets carried away with Uzayr. Today, we will go to Kharagpur with shagun and see the bride. Aren't we beta?"
Shah-Nawaz sipped his glass of lassi and remained silent like he was told. Fiza was annoyed with Shahgul, why did she blame Uzayr?
"Nothing is lost, the ceremony can go ahead on the 28th."
Dilawar-Baksh peered over the cup of tea at his wife. The slap didn't work.
"Who are you to deicide? Are you going to vouch for this loafer?" Dilawar-Baksh placed his cup on the saucer and picked up a piece of toasted bread that Fiza smeared with strawberry jam.
"Tell me, what have you done for the people of Jahanpur till this day?" He bit into the sweet bread his eyes pinned on Shah-Nawaz.
"He will do whatever you want him to." Shahgul replied.
"He spends his days hunting, and evening with thwaifs." Dilwar-Baksh scoffed with disdain. "When I order you to come to the panchayat you disgrace me!" His tone lowered to a grumble.
"I had to answer to the village elders after you left! But what do you care!" He punched the table causing the cutlery to bounce with a clang.
"The panchayat do not have faith in you." He leaned forward.
"He's sorry. Aren't you son?" Shahgul placed her hand on her son's hand to ensure he was calm and apologetic.
"I don't want his empty apologies! I want answers!" Dilawar-Baksh punched the table again. The maids gasped stunned in silence looking at each other and scanning the nearest exit. The tone of Dilawar-Baksh was alien.
"What makes you act like a fool? The decision of the panchayat is sacred, No one- I mean no one can discard their decision. In front of the villagers, you pissed all over the decision, what does that do to the sanctity of the panchayat? If the leader does not respect it, why would villagers?"

Allah Ditta smirked with satisfaction watching Shahgul's face melt with worry. The conniving woman and her spoilt son were on their way out. He scratched his pencil thin moustache pleased Dilawar-Baksh admonished her physically last night. Since the panchayat, he confronted Dilawar-Baksh and convinced him to bring Shah-Jahan's son to Jahanpur. Shahgul attempted to convince her husband will pillow talk, but Allah-Ditta soon washed his head from her seductive whispers. Women are fitnah, their decisions are based on their emotions hence trivial.
Dilawar-Baksh's eyes were red raw with anger. In all his years, this was the first time he was faced with humiliation when Shah-Nawaz dumped the mauled boar.
"I made a mistake. I'll do what is takes to fix it." Shah-Nawaz finally spoke through gritted teeth. He held the glass of lassi firmly in his left hand. His eyes fixed on his mother to ensure he remained calm.
"There is only one job I want you do to-only then I will have faith in you." Dilawar-Baksh demanded.
Shah-Nawaz looked at his father. His hand grasped the glass.
"What is it?" He leaned back and stared at his father.
Allah Ditta was dizzy with anticipation. The promise he made to Shah-Jahan would be delivered.
"I want you do bring me the righteous son of Shah Jahan." Dilawar-Baksh announced. The maids gasped silently, their mouths over their wide mouths. Shah-Nawaz leaned forward releasing the cup of lassi. His mother tapped his knee reminding him to remain calm.
"Why the sudden urgency?"
Ulfat clasped the tray against her chest. Her heart pounded with fear. Father and son were eye to eye across the table.
"Bring the son of Shah-Jahan to Jahanpur."
Shah-Nawaz was convinced his father planned to rid of him.
"You want me to bring my replacement?" He smiled with gritted teeth. "It's always your favourite Shah Jahan, the mighty son that you sent to his death." He mocked.
"Shah-Nawaz!" Yelled Shahgul.
"No!" Shah Nawaz threw his napkin on the table. Enough was enough. Allah Ditta smiled. Once again, his unpredictable anger reared its ugly head.
"He wants me bring a city boy to take my place." Shah-Nawaz bubbled with anger.
"See? This is what your spoilt son is really like." Dilawar-Baksh had enough ammunition to make his final decision.
"I am what I am!" Shah-Nawaz grabbed the glass of lassi and hurled it against the wall. Fiza shrieked with fear. Shah-Nawaz stormed to the far end of the table and leaned into his father's face. Shahgul buried her embarrassed face in her hands. It was too late.
"I have never been enough for you have I?" Shah-Nawaz glared in his father's face as he chewed the sweet bread. The maids were numb. What would Shah-Nawaz do?
"It's always Shah Jahan! I will never be Shah Jahan! His son is not Shah Jahan. Shah Jahan is dead. You killed him baba! When will you understand this!" Shah-Nawaz thumped the table.
"Enough! Have respect for you baba!" Shahgul snapped.
Dilawar-Baksh glowered at his son in disgust.
"You do not have any faith in me?" He leaned into his face. "Everything I did, my dreams aspirations, I killed to take this place. But it's not enough for you. I may as well be a bastard like Azaad!"
Dilawar-Baksh raised his hand and slapped Shah-Nawaz. The room froze. Fiza gasped in shock. Shah-Nawaz blinked, long and tight. His cheek throbbed with pain. His stood up straight and pulled his pistol from his pocket. Allah-Ditta reached for his pistol ready to defend Dilwar-Baksh. Shah-Nawaz gripped the slide and slid it backwards cocking the gun ready to shoot.
"You want Shah Jahan's son. I will find him." He pointed to the ceiling. "I will point this gun to his forehead and blow his brains out." He neared his father's ear. "I will throw his body at your feet and take Jahanpur." His eyes like steel held his father's gaze. He stood up with his back straight intimidating his father.
"Jahanpur belongs to me and whatever belongs to me I will take, even if I have to murder anyone who comes in my way!" With his right arm he swept the table crashing the dishes, plates and food onto the floor in smithereens. Fiza screamed jumping to her feet shivering with fear. She didn't recongnise Shah-Nawaz, his anger was unfathomable.
Shahgul bowed her head in despair. Rage swept Shah-Nawaz and she couldn't make him see any sense. She'd reared him on an appetite of becoming the king of Jahanpur, and now it backfired. The future was in devastation. Allah Ditta watched in glee when his plans came to fruition.
Outside, Shah-Nawaz shot a round into the sky marking the start of a new battle for Jahanpur sending tremors through the haveli grounds.
Shahgul shot to her feet feeling lightheaded.
"Clean this mess!" She ordered the maids and rushed out of the dinning bettak on her unsteady feet. Ulfat tailed behind her ready to take on any orders.
"I can't deal with him on my own anymore. Go-go call dai-ama. Call her quick. Tell her she needs to come. Shah-Nawaz will only listen to her."
Ulfat hastened to make the urgent call. Making her way through the hallway, Shahgul's vision blurred, she reached out for the wall but lost her balance.
On hearing the round of gunshots, Wajahat Ali raced through the haveli, armed with his rifle ready to attack. He raced through the hallway when he found a straggling Shahgul unsteady on her feet. He ran towards her and dropped his rifle on the ground. Shahgul pressed her left hand over her forehead, her eyes flickering in confusion. Wajahat secured her balance with his strong left arm around her waist.
"What happened?" He carried her body weight propping her onto her feet towards the velvet bottle green décor chair placed in the hallway. Gently, he sat her on the chair and kneeled before her.
"It's Shah-Nawaz." Her head was light and vision blurry.
Wajahat Ali reached for her face, his hand cradling her left cheek with worry lines across his forehead.
 "He's going to do something stupid." Shahgul cried.
The maid stood in the hallway watching Wajahat Ali console Shahgul.
"Get some water, you stupid woman!" Wajahat Ali yelled at the maid. She jumped to her feet and dashed off.
"It will be okay. I'm here." Wajahat Ali framed her face with his large hands holding her steady, his knuckles raw, red and grazed, fresh from an altercation. His fingers pressed along her neck, he held her gently to steady her.
"He will kill Shah Jahan's son. If he does that, Jahanpur will be destroyed. Stop him, Wajahat. Stop my son." Tears bubbled in her eyes, slowly she could see Wajahat's blurry countenance and his strong, angry moustache. Wajahat neared Shahgul, his nose a breath away from her, his body tense with worry. On her right cheek he noticed a bruise. He believed the beatings were over, but Dilawar-Baksh old ways didn't die out.
"Look a me." He tilted her face to towards him. "Look at me, Shahgul." Her eyes flickered meetings his.
"I am here for you. Nothing will happen to Shah-Nawaz. Everything will be okay." He assured with softness in his tone. "Why didn't you tell me he hit you again?"
Tears ran along her cheeks. "It's over Wajahat. What am I going to do?"
The maid rushed with a glass of water sploshing over the edges. Wajahat grabbed the glass and bought it to her lips.
"Here take a sip. You will feel better." He held her chin and prompted her to drink the water. The water dripped over her mouth on her lap.
refully." He kneeled towards her. Shahgul held the glass, her hand encompassing Wajahat Ali's hand. The maid watched with worry surprised to discover an attentive side to the impassive Wajahat Ali. After the sip of water, Shahgul's drowsy eyes opened wide and met Wajahat Ali's caring eyes boring into her. Her breaths ragged, his gaze pierced through her. Nervously, Wajahat Ali stood up handing the glass to Shahgul when he realised his rough hands cradled her soft cheeks. He ran his hands through his hair in confusion. So much had happened and he didn't know Dilawar-Baksh hit her. Shah-Nawaz threatened Shah Jahan's son. The inauguration would never happen. Their plans in disarray.
"Take Choudhrani to her room." Wajahat Ali ordered the maid. Did he call her Shahgul? He couldn't remember as he was struck with concern.
"Make sure you stay with her today, don't leave her side." Wajahat continued.
The maid supported Shahgul through the hallway making their way to her room.
"Wajahat!" Shahgul stopped. Wajahat Ali took large strides towards her.
"Call me." Her hand on his arm, her eyes deep with sadness ready to tear up.
"I will." He promised her.
With Shah- Nawaz in turmoil threatening to kill Shah Jahan's son, Wajahat Ali was determined to stop him. It was time to leak the information to the family so they could run away like they'd always done. Wajahat Ali had to find Shah-Nawaz and stop him, he couldn't let him leave for the city. Shah Nawaz was on self-destruct mode.