11- Wedding Order

News of Fiza and Jahanzaib's nikah spread like wildfire as preparations began. The festivities would begin with a small, simple Mehndi ceremony, followed by a nikah; the official marriage ceremony. From his hospital bed, Dilawar-Baksh passed the order and it was followed without question. The haveli was in haste to clean, cook and extra maids were called from local villages. The atmosphere was tense; the celebratory wedding atmosphere was drained from the preparation. There was no joy or happiness. An obligation that had to be fulfilled.

Numb and silent, Fiza followed the orders of her baba as a punishment. The maids took her to the ladies zenana, where she was bathed, scrubbed with haldi creams to soften her skin, massaged, and hair washed with rose water. Fiza submitted to the orders, her heart froze into an ice cube. Her smile, laughter, and the jingle of her bangles was lost forever.

Jahanzaib spent the morning in the fields with villagers congratulating him on his marriage. Should I call my mother? He contemplated. She would instantly drag him back to the city. He'd let baba down when he abdicated from the throne of Jahanpur, he couldn't let him down again. Fiza's love for Uzayr was a love story written in the soil, whispered by the trees. How could he marry Fiza? This was a duty for Jahanzaib; fulfilling his baba's- possibly last dying wish.

In her private bettak, Shahgul sat with Wajahat Ali planning her next step for her son.
"The assassination has diverted the attention from my Shah Nawaz. He must secure his throne by producing an heir. There is only one girl that suits my Shah Nawaz."
Shahgul gurgled the tobacco in the hookah. Wajahat knew it was Emaan. Shahgul had her eye on her- despite her betrayal, the pure girl stole her heart. She was from the clan, she was beautiful and would make a perfect wife to Shah Nawaz. They planned the steps to convince Shah Nawaz to marry her.

***

It was the day of the mehndi. Malaikah was summoned to prepare Fiza for her wedding day and Mehndi evening. She had hundreds of tasks to overlook and handed the responsibility of her children to Meh'r-Bano.
"The children had a late night with their uncle shooting." Meh'r-Bano explained as Malaikah looked through reams of dresses for Fiza's wedding dress.
"All responsibility has been foisted on me. Show me the other one." Mailakah ushered the dress maker who sat on the floor spreading out ready-made stitched bridal suits.
"Go wake the children and get them ready for tonight."
"They're awake." Meh'r Bano went to their bedrooms. Both beds were empty.
"Harris is still in my brother's bed. He's lazy! He needs to be dragged from his bed. Make sure he has his breakfast; he can be grumpy. Get him dressed for tonight."
Meh'r-Bano paused for a second. She pursed her lips to confirm her task, but Malaikah rushed her to leave.
"Hurry! I have too much to do!"

Standing in the hallway, Meh'r-Bano wasn't sure where Shah Nawaz's bedroom was located. Was he still in bed? No. He had to be out in the fields. It was 7am and no time for a chief of Jahanpur to be in his bed.
Nervously, she draped her lilac dupatta over her head and asked the maids for directions. She made her way to Shah Nawaz's haveli and proceeded up the stairs.
Meh'r-Bano knocked on the door lightly. There was no answer. She tried once again but this time with weight, still no answer. Carefully, she opened the door and peered inside the dull room with rays of light cracking through the curtains. The colossal size of the room stunned Meh'r-Bano, she bit the transparent scarf in her mouth and gazed around the room in awe. The interior was magnificent. A royal room. In the centre there was a large circular bed with sheets of silk and cotton. The figures lay under the sheets, and the small frame belonged to Harris.

Meh'r-Bano tiptoed to the bed wary that she didn't make a sound. When she approached the bed standing on Harris's side, she was struck by Shah Nawaz's long, thick raven black hair. He always donned a turban, and wore fine clothing, but here he lay in his bed, his hair ruffled around him and his chest bare. On his chest she noticed a tattoo but couldn't make it out. Around his bicep he'd inked a chain tattoo. Meh'r-Bano froze staring at him for bit longer than was considered appropriate. An enticing scent of sandalwood lolled in the air. His ears pierced with small studs. Even in his sleep he looked grand, his arm above his head, his muscles contracted with his bulging biceps. Meh'r-Bano swallowed a lump in her dry throat. She shook her head and gently nudge Harris.