33. Legacy Returns

It was a cool morning, where the clouds were merciful shading the scorching sun from the Jahanpur. But the grey clouds loomed overhead carrying their gloomy message that today would be a dark, grey day at the haveli.
Each guard grabbed Surraya's arm holding her back, her dupatta on the ground as she screamed for her children. Dilwar-Baksh entered into the space between mother and child. Shahgul watched from a distance at the devastating scene.
After the death of Shah Jahan, Surraya snatched the remaining piece of Dilwar-Baksh's heart and ran. Day and night he sent out guards to locate them, but someone from inside colluded with them to helped her escape. The traitor was dead. Now, he captured Surraya and he wanted her to shed tears of blood. Four guards held Nirma and Shahryar back waiting for Dilawar-Baksh's command.
"Don't do this! I beg you! Don't take my children away." Surraya cried in fluent Pothwari removing barriers between her and the haveli. She was one of them. Dilawar-Baksh took long steps and approached. His beard was more grey and less black. His face wrinkled but time had made him ruthless. His eyes narrowed glaring at her.
"Where is my Jahanzaib? I beg you. Let me see him!" Surraya looked around the haveli desperate to catch sight of him.
"You have filled my grandchildren's head with lies, you poisonous snake!" His nostrils flared with anger.
"My grandson believes that I killed my son! Me! Choudhary Dilawar-Baksh murdered my beloved son." Dilawar-Baksh raised his hand and slapped Surraya across the face that she fell to the floor. Nirma and Shahryaar's screamed but their cries were on deaf ears held back by guards. Years of longing, and anger pent up in his chest. It was time for Dilawar-Baksh to unleash it on the woman who owned his anger.
"How dare you?! I ought to cut you up in pieces and throw you to my dogs."
Surraya sobbed nursing her bruised cheek. There was no way out of the haveli now.
"You stole my legacy. You stole nineteen years from me. Precious time I could have spent with my grandkids. My grandson could have been the king of Jahanpur ruling this land."
Dilawar-Baksh ordered his guards to lift her up. "I spent nineteen years searching for my grandchildren, waiting for them to return home. Do you know what it feels like to have your heart and soul snatched from you? You wouldn't- you will now."
"Please-" She clasped her hands together in a prayer. "I beg you- don't do this. I can't live without my children. I need them." Tears filled her eyes, her cheek red and bruised scared by his steel rings.
"I was protecting Jahanzaib from land wars and death."
"The day we are born and the day we die are written. No one can evade death. My Shah Jahan died like a martyr, and died for Jahanpur. He was a soldier. This land belongs to my grandchildren. They will protect it, lead it and die for it. That is the cost of being a Choudhary." He drummed his walking stick on the ground.
This was the reason Surraya escaped Jahanpur. She was terrified of losing Jahanzaib the way she lost her husband. She spent years on the run, safeguarding her children from the brutal land wars of Jahanpur. Today she failed- she lost the battle and gave in. Now her plan was to stay close to her children. It was all she had left.
"Take her away! Lock her in the holding cell." Dilawar-Baksh raised his arm and turned his back on Surraya.
"Please don't-" Surraya leaped forward and threw her body at Dilawar-Baksh's feet.
"I beg you- don't do this to me. I can't live without my children." Surraya sobbed holding her  dupatta in her hands.
Dilawar-Baksh twisted the handlebars of his long moustache. Watching Surraya beg him laying at his feet gave him an ounce of satisfaction. Nevertheless, there were nineteen years lost, how could she make up for that?
"Please let our mum go- please!" Nirma's cried out hoping the old man would show a sliver of mercy.
Dilawar-Baksh indicated to the guards to lift her to her feet.
"Why does Jahanzaib believe that I killed his father?" Dilawar-Baksh tapped his walking stick, staring at his terrified grandkids.
"What have you told him and them?" He pointed at Nirma and Shahryar with his walking stick.
"Do they all believe I killed my son?" His heart pounded against his ribcage. "Answer me!" he roared.
"I lied to them." Surraya burst out. "I told them.
"Why?"
"They were asking too many questions-"
"So you wanted to poison their minds against me?" He raised his left eyebrow looking down at her.
"I had to keep them safe. The battle lasted ten days-"
"You lied to them!" Dilawar-Baksh made his way to Nirma and Sharyar pointing his walking stick at their mother.
"You lied to keep my grandchildren away from me."
Nirma took a deep breath. At this moment she cared little for her mother's lies, she wanted to protect her from the evil grandfather. She didn't blame her for lying.
"Please baba-don't do this to my ammi." Nirma squeaked taking advantage of his close proximity. "Let her go."
Dilawar-Baskh met Nirma's moist, blood shot eyes. They reminded him of Fiza. The girl was innocent and beautiful. A piece of Shah Jahan's legacy. Nirma touched a cold part of his heart.
"Take them all away." In the pause, he changed his mind and sent the family to reunite with Jahanzaib who beat the door with all his might.