13: Outlaw

Trigger warning: Graphic adult content. 

*****

Littered flowers. Drops of blood. The echo of mayhem haunted the haveli. It had been four hours that Uzayr absconded with Fiza. The haveli was reeling from the shock. Shah Gul sat in the isolation of her bedroom in darkness. After the evening of terror, there was only one imagine that struck her; Shah Nawaz saving Meh'r-Bano and locking her into his body. What madness? Why was he worried for her? What was going on between them? Her desire to for Shah Nawaz to marry intensified. A worry squirmed in her gut. Shah Nawaz was stubborn, once he desired something he wouldn't stop until he owned it.

In the privacy of his haveli, Shah Nawaz paced the bettak as Wajahat Ali updated him on the search.
"He has abandoned the car and took a Sikander from the stables."

"Of course, he would go off the track. He knows every inch of Jahanpur!" Shah Nawaz yelled.

"What shall we do?"

"Fuck all! That's all you have done so far- so stick with it! Get out of my face!" He waved his hand at him.

Fuming with rage he couldn't sit. He couldn't stand. His body shook with anger.

The doctor made his way into the lounge to update Shah Nawaz. The sixty year old man sat on the sofa and placed his stethoscope into his briefcase.

"Well?!" Shah Nawaz snapped at him standing in front of him holding his hands behind his back.

"How is she?"

"He has suffered a blow to his head, but there is no concussion. He should be fine after rest. Keep an eye on him."

Shah Nawaz grabbed the frail old man by his collars and forced him to his feet. "Who are you talking about?"

The doctor was surprised by his rudeness. "The man- Choudhary-"

"Jahanzaib!" Shah Nawaz recalled he was carried from the cell. He released the old man and shook his head.
"He's a grown man. He's a Choudhary! I don't care. I'm talking about Meh'r-Bano. You just saw her!"

"Oh, she will be fine." The doctor was eager to leave tasting a soupçon of the chief of Jahanpur's anger.
"It was a superficial cut to her neck. I have bandaged her. She is in shock which will have lasting impact."

"What was she doing there? Why was she in the courtyard?"

The doctor looked around the room. Was he asking him?

Shah Nawaz noticed his hand was shivering. His body shaking. What was wrong with him? He pushed passed the doctor and made his way upstairs taking two steps at a time racing to the spare bedroom where Meh'r-bano was resting. He pushed the door open, prompting Meh'r-Bano up on the bed. Quickly, she pulled her dupatta over her head. Alone, he paced the room searching for the words to castigate her.

"What were you doing there?" Holding his hands behind his back he struggled to hold his anger.

Meh'r-Bano shivered from shock. Her mind still going over the traumatic events. She could smell Uzayr's stench choke her lungs.

"Why were you there? Who told you to get involved?" Angry she wasn't responding, he grabbed her from the bed and lifted her from her arms.
"Talk to me! He could have killed you, you stupid woman!" He shook her. "Every time there is trouble, you're there. Always first in the row. What is wrong with you?"
Meh'r-bano sobbed. Her shoulders shook and pumped tears through her eyes. Shah Nawaz felt a stab of regret. Meh'r-Bano's knees gave way. He held her swaying body and sat her on the edge of the bed. He stepped back and watched her sob into her hands. Why was he yelling at her? What was this anger? He could still see the knife pressed against her neck. Her blooded tainted the collars on his kurtha.
"Uzayr is a mad man! He has done unspeakable crimes when he is a fit of rage! You do not cross him!" His voice controlled and tense with anger.
He kneeled down and looked at the bandage. He took a sharp breath.
"Does it hurt?" This time his voice soft.