The Cafeteria Showdown

By the time I had dragged myself home that day it was 10 pm. I didn't have to walk in the front door to know all of my brothers were still pissed. I didn't care. As much as they wanted to treat me like a baby I refused to act like one.

So three hours later, after playing every video game that Josh and his brother owned, I forced myself out the door and down the street, knowing that if I didn't do so soon my head would be on a stick.

But morning had come and my head was still fully attached to the rest of my body. Maybe there was a God after all.

"Can I get a ride?", I asked Cole the next morning.

He shrugged. "Yeah, whatever."

"Cool, thanks." I said grabbing my backpack and heading out the door.

I retraced my steps of the previous night as Cole slowly backed down the driveway. I could tell he was following my eyes as he rode down the block.

"Quite a stunt you pulled last night.", he laughed.

I rolled my eyes. "Not in the mood for a lecture."

"Doesn't mean you aren't going to get one."

Who did he think he was, trying to out sass me?

"You had no right to take my phone-"

"And you had no right to go into the house of the enemy!"

"Right, but Logan's allowed."

"They're best friends! And besides, he's a guy."

"Say that one more time, I dare you.", I said eyes narrowing.

"It's nothing personal, Em."

"I'm not a fucking baby, Cole. And just because I'm a girl, doesn't mean I can't handle myself. God, sometimes you're so sexist, honestly."

He parked the car and I opened the handle but the door stayed shut.

"Open the door, Cole."

"They're going to get you back you know. You should've just apologized them. Hell, if I pulled a stunt like you I would've begged for their forgiveness. Now they're just going to make their revenge worse and you'll come back from school like a day in hell."

I rolled my eyes and pushed against the back of my seat.

"There is no way I'm begging for their forgiveness you narcissistic little ass hole."

"Why are you so hormonal? What happened to my sweet little sister?"

I leaned over the dashboard and flicked the switch to unlock the car.

"She grew up.", I said slamming the passenger door.

I could see Cole roll his eyes from inside the car but I pretended not to notice.

Hauling my backpack over my shoulder, I saw a familiar black jeep stroll into the parking lot from the corner of my eye. It was Nathan's car, filled with the rest of my brothers.

I sprinted into the school and down the hallway as fast as I could. The less interaction with them, the better. At least until they calmed down.

A blinding pain burst at my forehead and I felt my knees give out.

"Don't worry they won't catch you."

I smiled.

"Josh? I didn't even see you there."

He laughed and brought me to my feet.

"So did they kill you?"

"Not yet, but I'm not holding my breath."