Goodbyes

The last day was always the worst part of camp. All the new friends made, relationships breached, and memories that were born sort of just prepared you for all of the farewells that you would have to endure sooner or later.
I knew I would have a much easier time saying goodbye though. Josh went to the same school as me, and so did all of my friends who shared my cabin. I loved Claire and as long as her and Cole were still together I'm sure I would be seeing a lot of her.

Cole on the otherhand was an absolute mess. He came to breakfast today with dark circles and messy hair.

"Hey, how come you look like Emily?", Kyle asked piling eggs onto his plate.

I glared at him and shoved him down the line. That stupid jerk grinned, ear to ear.

"Thanks for the insult.", replied Cole.
I pushed him too and rolled my eyes, heading out the doors to the tables in the Dining Hall.

Today's breakfast was my last meal at the camp. We would be out of the island by 10 and arrive back in our hometown in an hour so lunch wasn't provided either. That's why I knew if I wanted to sit by Josh it would have to be now or never.

I spotted him by my regular table next to Sophie and Amy and Jennifer. The spot next to him was open. I walked to the spot, my legs starting to speed up as my heart began to race. I smiled at him, and went to sit down when I fell down on my butt and my eggs and bacon spilled all down my shirt.

This was impossible, I knew I had checked my seat before I sat down so I wouldn't make a fool out of myself. I turned around and Logan was beside me, with the biggest smirk I have ever seen. That little shit had pulled out my chair.

"Emily, are you okay?"

Why does this always happen to me?

My face heated as I realized Josh was looking down at me, holding out his hand. I gratefully took it and felt the warmth of this hand pull me up. I turned to wink at Logan and saw his smirk fall to a scowl. Point, Emily.

"Start finishing off your breakfast, campers."

I looked towards the stage and saw Isabel the Keats coordinator speaking through the open mic.

"The boat leaves in an hour. That gives us plenty of time to load everyone's bags on the ferry."

I stabbed my fork at the last slice of strawberry on my plate. I couldn't imagine leaving this place. It was by far the best part of my summer.

"Are you nervous about starting high school?"

I turned towards Josh. I had completely forgotten that I was sitting next to him.

"Not really about the new changes. It's easier for us because our school runs through pre kindergarten to grade 12, so it's not like we have to move schools. I'm worried about what will happen being in the same building as my brothers though."

Josh nodded and took another bite from his omelet. "My brothers gonna be a senior this year."

"You have siblings?"

He smiled. "A little sister and an older brother."

"I never knew that."

"Now you do."

I grinned and tossed a grape in the air, catching it easily between my lips.

"I think I'd like to get to know you more, Josh Walker."
*************************************
Before I knew it we were grabbing our bags and heading for the docks. I couldn't believe I would have to wait another year to come back to this place.
I loaded my bags into the smaller boat that held our luggage and climbed aboard the ferry. Snagging a window seat, I was seated in between Josh and Amy.