Dinner

Dinner was fun. I sat with my cabin as we talked about the days previous events and ate chicken nuggets.

Kayla was talking about her trip to Florida while Riley and Maya were debating over the hottest male counsellors. I tried listening to my friends talk but to be honest the figure at the corner of my eye took almost all of my attention. Josh was seated at the end of a table in front of me to the right. He laughed at a joke Kyle made and then shovelled a leaf of caesar salad into his mouth.

"You're staring.", a voice hissed behind me.

Jacob calmly passed my table and refilled his cup, turning back every so often to smirk at me. I glared at him and unhappily shoved a fork full of chicken into my mouth.

"Ignore him.", said Kayla.

"It's impossible.", I muttered.

"Kayla's, right.", said my cabin counsellor, Claire.

I turned to look at her.

"I have 3 brothers and one sister. My sister and I got along fine but my brothers and I would constantly fight. One day I realized that if I stopped reacting to their pokes and jabs they would just quit it. And they did."

"So you just...always ignore them?"

"I'd love to say its that easy, Emma, but it's not. I slipped up a few times and blew up. And that made their day. But that's all they wanted. My reaction. Once I stopped giving them a reaction they stopped annoying me."

"At least you had a sister.", I muttered.

Claire laughed.

"Trust me, they're no walk in the park either. So tell me about your famous brothers. Are any of them here."

"That ones Jacob.", I said pointing to him as he sat down with his refilled cup. "17, grade 12, captain of the football team, you know how it goes."

"Really?", Claire smirked. "Does he date a cheerleader?"

"He would if he could but he can't so he doesn't."

"Don't tell me your brother doesn't attract the ladies."

"He does he just isn't interested in any of them at the moment. Especially the cheerleaders."

"Continue.", Claire said.

"That's Kyle and Nathan.", I said pointing to Josh's table.

Claire nodded.

"The younger one with blonder hair is Kyle, he's 16. And the one at the edge of the table is Nathan, he's 20."

"Isn't he the counsellor of spindrift? Looks like there will be some sibling rivalry between Spindrift and Santa Maria on theme day and at night games.", she laughed.

"And that ones, Josh.", Riley pointed to the blonde figure beside Kyle.

My eyes widened and kicked her under the table.

"Ah. So that's the one you've been staring at the whole time."

I blushed.

"We'll talk about him later."

Inside I was relieved. No way was I talking about him here where my brothers could hear. Where he could hear!

"Any more?", my other counsellor Melissa asked.

"One. He's over there. That's Cole he's the-"

"Activities captain.", blushed Claire.

"Um...yeah. How did you know that?"