I'm Telling

I knew I was in for it now. The last time this had happened to me I was at Camp Oakley and Kyle had caught me in the act of my first kiss. I had a feeling that making out with a guy would lead to a much worse punishment . Especially with Jacob.

"Jacob, listen I can explain-"

My brother pushed me out of the way, not breaking eye contact with Josh.

"Just because you're my little brothers best friend, doesn't mean you're mine, punk. You may be a part of this family since you were 3 but under no circumstances does that give you any obligation to make tongue to my baby sister!"

"Jacob, I know that but-"

"You're fucking man slut."

I expected Josh to slap him across the face or at least look down at his feet but his lips broke into a grin and he clutched his stomach, unable to control his laughter. I suddenly burst out laughing too. There was Jacob, in his jeans and football hoodie, in the middle of the park calling Josh a man slut. His face was fuming, but that only made us laugh harder.

"What's so funny?"

"You act like some big tough guy, but look at you, Jacob. You're standing in the middle of the park protecting your baby sister who doesn't even need to be protected. So much for reputations.", I laughed.

He threw his toned arm around my neck and squeezed me into his side.

"Can't-breath. Stop!"

He grinned and pushed my head farther into his rib cage.

"Watch your back, Mccabe."

Josh's smile fell and he looked at me with those big blue eyes. I wanted to run to him and tell him everything would be okay, but doing that would require me to breathe, a position I was currently not so successful of achieving.

"Let-me go!"

"I can't believe you, Em. Honestly it's like you're boy crazy now. What even happened to you?"

He released my grip and shoved me down the park pathway.

"It's called being a girl.", I mumbled.

"Speak up, princess.", he mocked.

"It's called being a girl, you self absorbed narcissistic ass hole!"

I shoved a hand over my mouth as his eyes hung to the cement path.

"I know that.", he said softly. "But why are you growing up so fast?"

Saying that that was the most memorable sibling statement we've ever had would be an understatement. I loved Jacob, but he was always the brother that would act like he was to cool to spend any time with his sister. Ever since he got into the 5th grade he would put on his act, like he didn't care what happened to me. He would still be affectionate if things were really bad like the time I broke my elbow at a soccer game. Other than that, we were farthest siblings out of all of my brothers. His teasing and mocking always pushed me away. I never knew that that was his way of trying to get in.

"I'm 14, Jacob.", I whispered. "I've already grown up."

"Shut up, we both know that isn't true."

I only said that to see how he would react.

"Why do you even care that I like Josh."

"So you admit it?", he asked.

"Answer the question."

"You answer mine."

There he was again. He had turned back to his selfish, too-cool-for-you brother. A part of me broke, knowing that seeing his soft side was so rare, and I had just missed my opportunity.