All Grown Up

It had finally happened. Today was the day of the Winter Formal.
There I was. Tucked in my walk in closet, twirling around in my full length mirror at a reflection I had never truly seen before.
Me in a dress. With hells. And makeup.
I was a little worried to how this would all play out with my brothers, but as long as my mother was home I knew all would rest assured in the Kingston household.
After all, it was my mother that took me dress shopping, bought me new makeup and lent me her nude heels for this very event.
I started to wonder why I never felt familiar in a dress. Maybe it was the fact that I played too many sports or had too many brothers. Maybe it was that I'd never been into barbies, or dress up as a kid. Whatever it was, I liked what I saw, I just wished Josh was here to see it.
I stepped out the doors and was immediately enveloped in a hug from my mother.
"I can't remember the last time you wore a dress. You look beautiful, Em."
I blushed slightly. "Thanks."
"Just wait until your brothers see you."
If she was expecting a positive reaction she might as well be expecting world peace and global domination. Honestly, has she met our family?
"Speak of the devil.", I heard Logan whisper as I descended down the stairs, my heels in hand.
My mother shot him a glare but it was too late. All 5 of my brothers were jaw-dropped stun, with their mouths hanging open and eyes bulging.
"Close your mouthed, you'll swallow a fly.", I said patting Jacob on the cheek as their gazes followed me into the kitchen.
"What the fuck do you think you're wearing?", Nathan hollered.
"Nathaniel, language.", my father warned.
"Dad you've got to be kidding me.", Jacob said with his hand outstretched at me.
I shrugged and took a bite out of an apple on the counter before my mother ushered me away complaining about how it would "ruin my makeup". God knows I only let her put on mascara.
"I told you they'd hate it.", I said.
"There is absolutely no way.", Cole said throwing his hands in the air.
"Go back and change."
"Wait is she wearing a dress?"
"It's way too short."
"As if we're letting her wear heels."
"Honestly you can be so melodramatic.", I chuckled.
"Go. Change. Now.", Nathan said point to the stairs.
"How. About. No.", I mocked after him.
Nathan lunged at me but Kyle pulled him back by the scrap of his collar.
"A little help?", I asked my mom.
"She's 14, boys. Most girls were wearing this at 12."
"Yeah, and most girls aren't flat as a board at 14 but I guess everyone's different, huh mom?", Logan spat.
I jumped off the counter growling, as Kyle resumed his position and gently pushed me back.
"Watch it.", I spat.
"Or what?", Logan snarled back.
"You guys have no say in the matter, she's wearing this and that's final.", my mom stated defiantly.
"No way she's way to young-"
"No complaints. Now go. You're gonna be late."
My brothers sighed and Jacob shoved me to the door as I smiled back at my mother.
"Gracias mamá", I called out.
"Oh shut it, Em.", Logan snapped.
The drive to school was agonizing.
Jacob was in the drivers seat, while Kyle was up front in the passenger's wing, flipping through radio channels like they were pages of a magazine. Every time there was an awkward gap in the conversation, he would nervously start breaking through channels like hell bent loose and the only way to save ourselves was to find the right music station.
"Kyle, are you going mental? Pick one and calm your tits.", Jacob barked from beside him.
Kyle grumbled a complaint and leant back in his chair knowing that without the comfort of the music, our conversation was about to get a lot more intimidating.
Jacob pulled into a parking space and I knelt down to unlock the door but I pushed through and shouldered the wall.
"Not so fast.", Jacob smirked.
Why couldn't Kyle have driven?
"This is how the nights going to play out.", he started.
I rolled my eyes and leant back in my seat. Logan followed suit.
"We're going in there and grabbing our girls. Kyle can spend his time gazing over you like a lost puppy or whatever the hell else he had to do to maintain his status as the favourite big brother, honestly I don't give a shit. As long as you stay out of our way, and make no mention that we're related I think we'll all have ourselves an enjoyable evening."
Kyle glared from the passenger seat at mention of his name as I scoffed a laugh at the back of my throat.
"Have it your way." I surrendered.
Logan looked at me blankly. "That's it? Not I'll snitch. No tantrums? No nothing?"
I nodded. "Whatever."
Jacob shook his head. "No way, maybe we will stay by your side. You have it way too easy. Is Josh planning on showing up? Are you dating an older boy. If you even think of making eye contact with an older boy then you have another thing coming for you-"
"Shut up you pig. What's it gonna be? You and your girls or stick by my side? Either way it's a lose lose for you?"
I almost clamped my hand over my mouth at the mention of the second part but quickly regained myself.
"We'll go in together but we're splitting up as soon as we cross those doors. And if there is any funny business I swear to god Emily-"
"I get it!", I yelled.
"Good."
He unlocked the doors.
I was free.