In the Moonlight [Itachi Uchiha] for Princess Cadence

"What are you doing out so late?"

"Go away, Itachi."

The ninja removed himself from the shadows, looking down at the young woman. She sat on a rock, dipping her bare feet into the pond. The moon shone brightly overhead, which held her attention not even bothering to even give him a glance.

"You do understand the Akatsuki have enemies everywhere. Distancing yourself from the base is just welcoming danger."

"And I care, why?"

He sighed quietly, sitting beside her. "Its tonight, isn't it, Jia?"

The young woman was silent. But he didn't need an answer. "You know, the moon always looks so much larger on the anniversary. I wonder why that is... Or maybe it's because I've been looking at it for far too long."

Itachi gave a small smile that went unnoticed. Ten years ago, Orochimaru slaughtered an entire Clan, looking for the strongest ninjas for his latest experiments. Jia was the only survivor, wandering the roads for nearly a year before Konan found her barely alive. When asked by Leader as to why she brought in a stray the young woman's answer was because Jia reminded her so much of herself as a child, trying to survive. Though once the Akatsuki fed and allowed her strength to return it turned out she was a skilled ninja; one whose family bloodline was in the art of shadows either casting or controlling them. She became a powerful asset. Though she could not escape her past, much like Itachi.

"You've been staring at it for far too long."

Finally the young woman met his eyes. "Obviously, since all I see are black spots now."

He hummed in amusement, poking her forehead. "Serves you right. Let's go back to the hideout."

"You're such a stick in the mud," she sighed. Both stood, brushing off their pants looking at each other.

"Maybe." The young man lightly kissed her forehead. "But you still love me."

Jia gave him a small smile, which was very hard to come by and almost only seen by him. "True. Very true."