A Moment [Sai] for Ayame Uzumaki

Sakura was getting really frustrated even though the whole day had been going smoothly. Team 7, 8, and 10 had organized a picnic, inviting Team Guy along with them. Ino had chosen a spot near a lake, others bringing food with them as they arrived, along with sporting equipment to play games. Naruto was so excited about going swimming, he tore off his clothing when they arrived and cannonballed into the water. Sakura and Ino shrieked at the oncoming wave, Rika quickly performing a Jutsu to repel it.

"Told you the BBQ pit should've been farther up on the hill," Kiba snickered. That earned him glares from both girls, huffing as they move the piece of equipment.

"Let us be youthful and play some Frisbee!" Rock Lee exclaimed. The object went flying towards Neji, who moved off to the side and allowing it to pass. Though Akamaru didn't hesitate to catch the object.

Rika smiled and then realized someone was missing. Looking up towards the tree on the hill she spotted Sai sitting by himself. As always, his book was out, drawing inside the pad. Careful that she was not tackled by Choji, who was trying to get to the food, and dodging Kiba and his canine companion as they ran past with Rock Lee chasing after them, Rika came up behind Sai, glancing over a shoulder.

"That's really good."

He jumped in surprise, having not heard the Chuunin approach. "Thank you."

She sat down, picking up a pebble before chucking it towards the sleeping Shikamaru on the grass. He snorted at the contact, but otherwise remained unconscious. The teen snickered. "You know, you've been reading books on emotions and how to interact with others, and sitting up here by yourself is not helping."

"Those books aren't useful. I still mess up."

Rika grinned. "Finally!" The Root Ninja was startled by the outburst. "I've been trying to tell you that for years. The only way you're going to be able to learn how to interact with people is to practice with actual human beings. Not chapters in books. You can start by stopping with the nicknames."

And that was what led to Sakura's frustration. Ino, Sakura, and Tenten wanted a picture of everyone as a group. Though pulling the boys away from their activities was a tad bit difficult. The thing that angered the Medical Ninja was the one person who was not smiling. Sai.

"Just smile! You're ruining the shot!"

The negative comment did not affect him in the slightest, giving a fake smile. That just made her vein pulse in annoyance. "Last time!" Ino said. "The food is almost ready!"

"I'm hungry," Choji whined. "Can we just eat now?"

Rika moved around their friends, coming up behind Sai and using the hill to her advantage so she was able to stand just above his shoulders. Pushing the button on the camera, the pink-haired girl rushed back over as the timer ticked. "Smile!"

The Chuunin didn't waste any time when the Root Ninja gave his fake smile, hooking two fingers in the corners of his mouth and pulling it up. She grinned over one of his shoulders, his eyes showing surprise from what was happening. And with the click of the camera the moment was captured. Retracting both fingers Rika grinned as Sai looked back with pink cheeks, Sakura running around to check out the picture. She broke out laughing.

"Thank you, Rika!"

"My pleasure," she answered. The group ran towards the table, digging into the delicious meal. Meanwhile, Rika took a more leisurely pace only to be tugged backwards. Looking up the teen was surprised when Sai pressed his lips to hers quickly. "What was that for?"

His brows furrowed. "I thought that's how someone shows thanks."

"Well, yeah, but not as friends. A hug would do."

"What if I don't want to be friends?"

She smiled. "I wouldn't mind that."