8: The Next Two Years

"When Saga came back, we were worried you would be killed," my father said softly as he stroked my hair.

I had been in the hospital for a couple days now due to the injuries Itachi's friends had left behind. Or maybe it was Itachi, I wasn't really sure.

A couple broken ribs, bruises and gashes everywhere, some internal bleeding... all of the fun things that come from being beaten unconscious.

I might even get a pretty little scar on my forehead to match the one under my eye.

I slowly sat up in the bed, this being the first time I was fully awake since getting back in the village.

"How's Shikamaru?" I asked to which my dad sighed loudly and shook his head.

"He wanted to quit being a shinobi..." he trailed off.

"What!? He can't do that! This isn't his fault!!"

My dad chuckled softly, patting my shoulder, "Don't worry, I talked to him. I know he's still feeling discouraged, but he's determined to try."

I felt tears welling up in my eyes as I thought about Shikamaru's pain. He didn't deserve this, none of these young shinobi did. They were all just caught in the crossfire of adults who couldn't get their shit together.... myself included.

"Y/n, there's something else I wanted to talk to you about."

"Hmm? What's up?"

"Jiraiya is taking Naruto to train for the next 2 years or so... he'd like you to go with."

My eyes widened, "B-but I just got back... I can't leave again. I should be here for Shikamaru."

My father just shook his head softly, "Y/n, as part of the Nara clan, it is our duty to support the hokage, and this is her wish as well. The akatsuki are after him."

"You are one of the few strong enough to help Jiraiya in protecting Naruto. With your shadow binding, you can help train him."

It's said the first clan leader helped contain the tailed beast with my inherited kekkei genkai, but I had never tried it.

I couldn't stop the tears from rolling down my face, "The akatsuki?"

"They're after the jinchuriki. Do you know anything about that?"

I shook my head silently, embarrassed that he even had a reason to ask me that, but I was the one who had run off to be with an akatsuki member.

He sighed as he stood up, placing his hand on my shoulder, "You've been cleared to leave now. Get dressed and come downstairs. Your mom is waiting to see you."

"D-dad," I called out as he turned to leave. "T-thank you for everything."

He smiled softly at me, "You'll always be my little girl. I love you, Y/n. And I'm so proud of everything you've become."

Tears rolled down my cheeks as he left the room. I definitely didn't deserve his kindness and trust, but he freely gave it anyway.

I dressed quickly into the outfit I'm sure my mom had laid out for me. My classic all black outfit, a shinobi headband for around my arm, and she even left a jonin jacket.

I smirked as it was cut at the bottom, leaving it frayed and cropped, just like I had it when I first became a chunin. I thought I was so fucking cool back then...

I laughed as I put it on, not sure if she left it as a joke or as a sweet reminder of my first promotion. Either way, I was going to wear it proudly. I'm still so fucking cool.