23: Bets

"So you didn't find anything at all?" Tsunade huffed.

"No, unfortunately not. We have no idea where they may be right now," Kakashi added.

We had spent weeks looking for Sasuke and Orochimaru. We both summoned dogs, and yet we couldn't track a single scent from either one of them.

It was as if they had disappeared completely.

I stood there quietly, staring at Tsunade with a blank face. I hadn't been back since I learned about Itachi, and I wasn't going to pretend I was fine with it.

My feelings for Kakashi changed absolutely nothing when it came to how pissed and distrustful I was.

"Y/n," Tsunade finally returned my gaze. "Would you like to talk?"

"I have nothing to say to you."

Her eyes narrowed at me, "I shouldn't have to remind you that I am still the hokage."

"There isn't an ounce of dignity or honor left in that title as far as I'm concerned," I snapped back at her.

"Y/n," Kakashi huffed out in a serious tone, ushering me to watch the attitude with just a single word.

Tsunade leaned back in her chair, pursing her lips a bit as she glared at me, "Then tell me Y/n, why are you even back?"

I was seconds away from exploding. Was she really not even going to recognize how terrible this all was? Is no one going to take any accountability?

It wasn't just Itachi's life that was ruined. An entire clan was brutally murdered... On orders that came all the way up from the hokage and his inner circle.

I know it wasn't Tsunade's doing, but still... It made me sick to think about. I never would've thought my dad or Hiruzen would've been capable of that, and I was already wrong once.

"I'm here to make sure something like that never happens again. Hopefully restore some honor to our pathetic village," I snarled at her.

She smirked, "Good. That's what I was hoping to hear. I'm giving you a promotion."

My eyes widened. After I just disrespected her like that, I was not expecting anything but more scolding.

"A-a promotion?" I stuttered out.

She crossed her legs as she sat there smugly, "Well, you're the future of the Nara clan after all. I need to make sure you're ready for what's coming."

I glanced over at Kakashi who was staring at me intensely. I still couldn't read him when he chose to hide his emotions. He was just too damn good at it.

"And what's coming?"

She shook her head softly, "I'm not sure exactly, but with the way things are going... Orochimaru, the Akatsuki, their attack on the Hidden Sand. I can only imagine we're on their list somewhere."

I felt myself suddenly unable to breathe. I wasn't ready for anything like this. My life was still just a long list of failures along with people I couldn't save...

I talked big, but what if I couldn't actually protect anyone?

"What's first?" Kakashi spoke up.

I clenched my jaw as I waited for Tsunade's response. I was so close to crying. It seemed with every day that passed, I had less control over myself and my emotions.

"Kakashi, are you still ready to train Naruto?"
she asked. "He needs to be able to protect himself."

"Right. I already have some ideas."