16: Lost

**idk but i hear frank ocean's lost playing in the back of my head when i read this chapter lolol**

I spent the rest of the day quietly relaxing at my apartment. My plants had all died from being on a mission and then in the hospital for so long.

I debated on getting more but decided against it. I'd probably start being gone a lot more often now that I was on an actual team and the Akatsuki were back.

I sighed as I looked in my closet for something to wear... I couldn't even remember the last time I wasn't in either my ninja clothes or pajamas. I barely even had any normal clothes at all.

I really wanted to back out of tonight, but Guy's deal was just too tempting. I needed him to keep training with me.

I knew his work ethic alone was enough to push me to get better, and to mix that with the taijutsu practice, he would make the perfect trainer.

I decided on black loose jeans and a laced, cropped black cami. I kept my hair down and added some makeup before putting on my shoes to leave.... black chunky boots.

I never liked dressing up much, but it was cute enough for me.

I walked slowly to the restaurant, enjoying the warm breeze of the night and the clear sky. Many of the houses and buildings still had their lights on for the night, and the chatter and laughter of families filled the empty village streets.

I smiled happily as I thought about my own family and the many nights I had spent with them, enjoying their company in the same fashion.

Shinobi weren't often lucky to have stable families, but I was... Not only were my parents even alive, but they always made time for me. It was a luxury that I had taken for granted too many times before.

I braced myself before walking through the restaurant doors. I wasn't sure why, but an overwhelming sense of nervousness began to wash over me as I thought about seeing everyone.

I wasn't really the going out type, yet here I was.

"Hey! We're over here!" Asuma called out as I walked inside and began to look around. I was surprised to see there was a part of the restaurant closed off just for some jonin, most of who I didn't know.

"Hey," I smiled softly as I approached the table. "Who're all these people?"

"We're celebrating! It's Kenzo's birthday," Kurenai smiled.

"Kenzo? From the Inukuza clan?" I asked as I sat down next to Kakashi.

"Yea! You know him?"

I shook my head, "Not really, which makes it pretty weird that I'm at a dinner for him."

"Oh, it's totally fine! We're going to go to a get together after this too, so it's really casual. Anyone can come!"

"One of your suitors?" Kakashi asked in a low voice so only I could hear.

I rolled my eyes as the server approached us and asked if I wanted anything to drink. The truth is, he actually was one of the names my mom and the elders had sent me, although I had only met him once. And it was for something completely unrelated to an arranged marriage, thankfully.

"Mm, can I have a whiskey? And just like, keep it coming if the glass gets empty. Thanks," I gave her a small smile before she left again.

Asuma smirked at me, "Whiskey? Really?"

"Yea... Not really big on crowds of people," I laughed nervously.

"Really? But you're so personable," Kakashi teased.